low latency interface

Most Every Modern Interface has Zero Latency Direct Monitoring......I have never experienced Latency unless I was useing a cheapo Crappy sound Blaster or Integrated audio solution.....

Just look for ones that Have Zero Latency Direct Monitoring and the features you need.....

:rolleyes:

We tested a LOT of stuff using the CEntrance Latency Test Utility. Nothing is beating the RME PCI card stuff so far as we've found, but thats a PITA for laptops where firewire would be soooo much nicer. RME and MOTU's firewire products are supposed to be good, but still not as low as the PCI, Ill be testing some more soon.

pipelineaudio said:
We tested a LOT of stuff using the CEntrance Latency Test Utility. Nothing is beating the RME PCI card stuff so far as we've found, but thats a PITA for laptops where firewire would be soooo much nicer. RME and MOTU's firewire products are supposed to be good, but still not as low as the PCI, Ill be testing some more soon.

you have latency results for interfaces tested?

Any Proper Interface will have Direct Monitoring which is in all Practical terms Zero Latency....Latency is a Thing of the Past , so the Question is Pretty much Moot, as It really doesn"t exist unless you are useing a cheapo Sound Card......

Even with my Old SoundBlaster (which I don"t use anymore for audio recording) I had very little latency when useing ASIO drivers.......

Minion said:
Any Proper Interface will have Direct Monitoring which is in all Practical terms Zero Latency....Latency is a Thing of the Past , so the Question is Pretty much Moot, as It really doesn"t exist unless you are useing a cheapo Sound Card......

Even with my Old SoundBlaster (which I don"t use anymore for audio recording) I had very little latency when useing ASIO drivers.......

i'm sorry minion but you don't know what you're talking about. direct monitoring means that the inputs of a sound card are routed directly to it's outputs. that means monitoring before the signal goes thru any software such as plugins. latency is not a thing of the past and is barely acceptable for wet monitoring through the majority of recording interfaces while performing.

connect a guitar to your interface's input, add a couple of plugins to the track, and you'll see how real latency is.

engine joe said:
you have latency results for interfaces tested?

Yes, but theyre also going to be on the hopefully upcoming "reccomended devices" page and I'm giving the manufacturers time to dispute the results or come up with better drivers. I've also got an endorsement who would be somewhat miffed if I posted the results as they stand. Note I will NEVER reccomend something I dont personally use or trust, so its better just to let the silence speak for itself so they say :)

We SHOULD do a thread where different people post Centrance LTU results, that would be most informative! Also it would be important to note if the results "drifted" or changed each time the test button was clicked, some firewire interfaces were doing that, while the RME PCI, Mixtreme PCI and some other PCI units held steady.

pipelineaudio said:
We SHOULD do a thread where different people post Centrance LTU results, that would be most informative!

sounds like a very good idea. can i ask if you tested any echo gear?

If you want the lowest latency for a laptop you'll have to either shell out for the Apogee Symphony Mobile system or wait for RME's ExpressCard/34 solution (according to RME support they are aiming for this year) which will work with Multiface, etc.

engine joe said:
sounds like a very good idea. can i ask if you tested any echo gear?

An old gina 20 bit and a layla24. Both run stable numbers after multiple tests, and use very little CPU on an AMD dual opteron while doing under 10msec round trip latency.

ewegogetemtiger said:
If you want the lowest latency for a laptop you'll have to either shell out for the Apogee Symphony Mobile system

Ill be real interested in this system! Their Xfire ASIO setup was HORRID, I'd thought they threw in the towel. I hope this one does well, having apogee on native will be awesome

or wait for RME's ExpressCard/34 solution (according to RME support they are aiming for this year) which will work with Multiface, etc.

Man, THIS is gonna be good stuff!!!

pipelineaudio said:
Ill be real interested in this system! Their Xfire ASIO setup was HORRID, I'd thought they threw in the towel. I hope this one does well, having apogee on native will be awesome

Man, THIS is gonna be good stuff!!!

Oh, I'm with ya. There's a snowball's chance in Hell I'd buy Apogee when I know RME has it coming later. 1/3 the price, equal or better sound quality, and unbeatable performance.

pipelineaudio said:
Yes, but theyre also going to be on the hopefully upcoming "reccomended devices" page and I'm giving the manufacturers time to dispute the results or come up with better drivers. I've also got an endorsement who would be somewhat miffed if I posted the results as they stand.
I checked out your site, nice work. It's one of the better places I've visited.

Anyhow, did you test a LynxTwo?

Minion said:
Most Every Modern Interface has Zero Latency Direct Monitoring......I have never experienced Latency unless I was useing a cheapo Crappy sound Blaster
:rolleyes:
Here here!
I had nightmares about how bad the latency was when my band recorded our album with a pishy Soundblaster. We would get latency sometimes then other times we would get anti-latency. So the recorded wave ends up playing back a gadza amount of milliseconds faster.

Eck :(

engine joe said:
latency is not a thing of the past and is barely acceptable for wet monitoring through the majority of recording interfaces while performing.

connect a guitar to your interface's input, add a couple of plugins to the track, and you'll see how real latency is.

That latency has nothing to do with your interface.

NYMorningstar said:
I checked out your site, nice work. It's one of the better places I've visited.

Anyhow, did you test a LynxTwo?

Thanks! No I didnt test a Lynx 2, I do have a Lynx AES16 I think is the name, available, I'll add that....just in the middle of a move as well, to the middle of nowhere, but theres hi speed internet :)

boingoman said:
That latency has nothing to do with your interface.

He's talking about software monitoring thru his daw, with likely DX or VST plugs in the INSERT path, this particular latency has EVERYTHING to do with your interface

Back