looking for a simple recording software

vonw

Hi all, I am trying to make some audio lectures for myself. I am just trying to record my own reading voice and that's it, nothing fancy. However, I do have to go back from time to time to edit my audio file: insert one more segment, recording over another part etc. I was wondering if there is a simple program that would let me highlight a segment and just record over it, basically deleting the old segment and insert a new one over it (that may not have the same length). I think audacity may be able to do it but can't figure out how. Everytime I highlight a segment and try to record, it will create a new track running parallel with the old one. I have to cut out the old portion, record a new one, then copy and insert it to where the old portion was.

Many thanks for any pointers!

You might consider Reaper.

It will let you do what you want easily.

What's more, it is non-destructive, so if you change your mind or make a mistake, you can get back to where you were.

http://www.miditech.de/userfiles/magix/samplitude_pro_x_silver_miditech_us.exe

^Totally free and I have just downloaded it myself and it IS safe and does not come with any 'toolbar' baggage.

Reaper IS great and I have bought it but I don't get on, some folks don't. I know Samplitude can do all you require, I am not that slick with it but son is, zoomed about chopping and shunting stuff!

There are several levels of undo (but it is always wise to copy first track to a safe place. An 8/16G USB stick is a couple of rounds down the Freakin Pig and if you have a USB 3.0 port get one of those, bloody quick.

Sam Silver also has an excellent MP3 (and almost everything else) encoder in it.

Oh! ***t! Just think you might have said you have a mac? Well if so belay all that!

Dave.

Have a look at Acoustica, from Acon Digital:

Acoustica | Digital Audio Editor

Hard to look up, because the maker of Mixcraft is also called Acoustica...

Also, Magix' Sound Forge recently has had an upgrade to 3.0:

SOUND FORGE

This used to be Sony Pro software. Both look a lot better than Audacity and maybe allow the kind of editing you're after.

I was wondering if there is a simple program that would let me highlight a segment and just record over it, basically deleting the old segment and insert a new one over it (that may not have the same length).

So you're wanting a DAW that functions like a text editor? Where you highlight and then the following sections move forwards or backwards to match the replaced section?

I think that's called auto-ripple in video software, but I don't know offhand of any DAWs with it.

Edit: It looks like Reaper supports ripple editing too: What is Ripple Editing?

If you are only singletrack and you need to record an audio snippet and paste it in earlier, record it at the END of the audio file, then copy and paste it over the original bit of audio. Don't try to record over the original file directly. You need software for recording live audio,not MIDI music.

If you want utter simplicity I'd go with Audacity or Ocean Audio. If you want to step up to a full fledged DAW I'd go with Reaper.

Back