Looking for a new pc

Trumpspade

I'M BLESSED.......
I am about to invest in another computer. One that has not taken the abuse of the one I currently have and will be used ONLY for the prupose of recording. Any suggestions as far as minimum req? Any name brand/model suggestions? RAM? Any one in particular for recording?

Trumpspade said:
I am about to invest in another computer. One that has not taken the abuse of the one I currently have and will be used ONLY for the prupose of recording. Any suggestions as far as minimum req? Any name brand/model suggestions? RAM? Any one in particular for recording?
I'd say build it yourself, for starters. As far as more specific recommendations, it always helps to start off with a some sort of budget and some sort of technical requirements, ie, how many tracks do you need to record at once, playback at once, any MIDI, tons of effects, etc...?

whats your budget like? Some will say to build your own but dont try if you dont know how. If you decide you want to build I found you can build a good PC for around $800 bucks or less. just stick to recording and no gaming. the gaming part will push up the cost. and the pretty case with the lights and stuff. just stick to the basics in cosmetics and you will get something good from a good price. If you dont want to build and are want a good price then you can take a look at the Dells.
I found at newegg.com you can build one with 1G ram, 2.4gz Athlon64, ASUS motherboard with USB2, firewire, 4 sata HD ports, 5 pci slots, 1 pcix slot. 80 gig SATA drive. case, and power supply for about $800 bucks or so. if you buy a case do not use the power supply it comes with. I will fail soon. just buy a seperat one.

altiris said:
I found at newegg.com you can build one with 1G ram, 2.4gz Athlon64, ASUS motherboard with USB2, firewire, 4 sata HD ports, 5 pci slots, 1 pcix slot. 80 gig SATA drive. case, and power supply for about $800 bucks or so. if you buy a case do not use the power supply it comes with. I will fail soon. just buy a seperat one.

I was dreading this:
What does that all mean? Is it something required? 2.4gz Athlon64, ASUS Motherboard, Firewire, 4 Sata HD Ports, 5 pci slots, t pcix slot, etc.....
Is all of that needed? Withoutt trying to ask too much, was does those components do? Many of the pc shops out there are like mechanics, they'll rip you off. I want to know the TRUTH!

Trumpspade said:
I was dreading this:
What does that all mean? Is it something required? 2.4gz Athlon64, ASUS Motherboard, Firewire, 4 Sata HD Ports, 5 pci slots, t pcix slot, etc.....
Is all of that needed? Withoutt trying to ask too much, was does those components do? Many of the pc shops out there are like mechanics, they'll rip you off. I want to know the TRUTH!
If you're open to the DIY route, I'd suggest searching the forum and/or google for info on building a computer. It really isn't all that complicated, you just need to get up to speed with the basics and get a handle on terminology.

Buy a stock computer (I have a HP and it never let me down). Just make sure you put as much memory in it as possible, and that you can upgrade in the future. Anything less than 2GB will be a joke in 2-3 years, so be prepared for the future. And:

Buy an external USB/Firewire hard drive or an internal harddrive for the sole purpose of backup. I can't stress this enough. Every hard drive will crash at some point, so you have to be prepared.

Those are the basic components of a PC and if you don't know what they are then you can save yourself the trouble and get a Dell, gateway, HP or other budget PC pre-built. There is a variety of Processors memory type and configurations and so on out there and everyone has their opinion on them and there will be no end in answers to your question here. But you do need a fairly good system if you are going to record a lot of tracks or record multi-tracks simultaneous . Like said how much do you want to spend. Yea I know there’s emachines out there for 300 bucks but you will find them limiting you on your recordings. And when to get better at recoding you will start to strain your PC cause you start using more plugins and laying down more tracks. I personally don’t use E-Bay but many do.

just buy a dell.

check slickdeals.net and fatwallet.com for dell deals - they happen all the time.

you can get a nice computer that's upgradeable and an 17-19" LCD for under $600.

good warranty support, quiet systems, and great performance/price ratio.

hard to beat dell for the $$$

From experience, i can highly advise against the Dell "preferred" plan.

I will build my next puter, though I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Trumpspade said:

What software are you using?

Are you opposed to a Mac?

You can get a Mac Mini for $500, and I know some guys who ran Logic, with 24 Audio tracks, and Plugins/effects on every track, and it worked jut fine.

The thing is, you have to have a Firewire interface.(They were using a MOTU unit)

Tim

cellardweller said:
From experience, i can highly advise against the Dell "preferred" plan.

I will build my next puter, though I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

It';s not that bad - I built my PC last year from parts I ordered from Newegg.conm, and it was about $1,000.

I got an AMD 2800+ Athlon XP with 1 Gig of Kingston DDR Memory and an 80G hard drive with Firewire and an S/P-DIF Interface on an ABIT NF7-S Motherboard. It's got an Nforce2 Ultra 400+ Chipset, and 1 PCI card that is a Vidocard with 128 Megs of DDR. For a case, I bought a Server case with 5 fans that they were selling for $50. I wanted to go Rackmount, but what the heck - it's just a case, and since I'm not moving the PC around, it's fine.

The only time I had a problem was I got a Trojan at one point, but I scrubbed the HD and started over, and I haven't had a single problem with it.

Later this year I'm going to get a PC just for recording on, and I'm going to jump to a Mac for that because I want to get Logic 7 and since Apple is only releasing it as an Apple product, that's the route I'll have to go.

Tim

Back