Looking for interface that also makes live mixes without latency, for live recordings

Dicus

Enthusiastic Member
Hey guys,

Currently I use the TASCAM US-1800 which works great for recording drums, guitars and vocals seperatly. However we, as a band, want to get more into vlogging and would like to record more of our tracks live.
I have tried to use live monitoring with the TASCAM but it only has one phone output and if I turn the mix button to Input (instead of computer) the volume is very low. Monitoring in Reaper gives us to much latency to be able to properly record.

I am wondering what would be the best solution:
- Would it be possible to use DAW live monitoring for 8 or more inputs without any noticable latency if I would have a faster computer?
- Should I buy a headphone amplifier that amplifies the output of the TASCAM and sends it to four headphones?
- Should I start looking for an interface that is also a mixer, which I can use for the monitoring?

I would like to buy a solution that lasts me for years, budget is around 1000 euros/dollars-ish.

All help is very much appreciated!

You should be able to set your buffer so that latency is minimal. A headphone amp will help in volume issues. I've read from others here that the US1800's headphone amp is not loud (no problem with my US800, though).

Last edited:
If I'm reading the manual correctly it has a simple zero latency input monitoring setup that just sums all the inputs and sends them to the headphone output, by way of the monitor mix knob and the headphone level control. The input gain controls are also your input monitor mix controls. If you can deal with that then probably all you need is a headphone amp.

Yeah, I will start looking for a headphone amp. I guess that is the best solution for now. Thanks for the advice!

@mjbphotos, I don't think I can set my buffer so that latency is low as I'm already dealing with quite some glitches, pops and such. (I put a question about that in a new topic) But if you know ways how I can I would be glad to listen to you :D

Back