Looking for an inexpensive audio interface

fwrunner2017

Hi all;
I am not a professional, but enjoy making "radio /dj style" mixes and adding fx to songs I have ripped from cd's or purchased one way or another.
I am currently using the on-board sound system on my Windows 7 (also have Win 10 dual boot) system, which is Realtek "High Definition" and uses the ALC892 chip.

I have been playing around with the trial version of Reaper, and have found that my sound system has too much latency to record anything live (I thought I might want to connect a microphone, or use a line-in source). I installed ASIO4ALL, VB VoiceMeeter Banana, and VB Virtual Audio Cable so I could have Reaper running with ASIO and still hear other Windows audio (like YouTube tutorial vids). This setup works fine for me, but I definitely think I need a better audio system.

I prefer the Interface rather than a PCI card; mainly because it is almost impossible for me to get behind my PC to connect or disconnect a cable without falling into the mess and breaking everything... and because I don't want to be stuck to PCI if my next PC build doesn't have PCI slots (I've read that PCI is disappearing in favour of PCIE).

As for input/outputs, I need line-in so I can connect various devices that have line level outputs. I don't have any instruments at all. I know that the Behringer UMC202HD can be set to either instrument or line level, which would work perfectly for me. And having the mic preamp would be nice, since I might want to play around with recording my own voice and adding fx.
I'm not sure what the difference between Line and Instrument and Mic levels are. Both the Behringer and the Steinberg have buttons to set the input impedance (Behringer labels theirs Line/Inst, while Steinberg calls it High-Z). I am going to assume that either of these products will work.

So here I am thinking that I am going to have to spend $200 or more on a decent Audio Interface, when I Google the term, and come up with so much info that I feel overwhelmed.
I found that I can now buy a Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD for only $60, or a Steinberg UR-22 for $150.
The Steinberg UR-22 comes with Cubase AI6, while the Behringer UMC202HD comes with Traktion (now a free) DAW. Some reviews I have read say that they would choose the Steinberg if only for the fact that it comes with Cubase. I have never played with Cubase - only Reaper and Audacity (I don't really consider Audacity a DAW though), and for a few days I played with Magix Music Maker, and for a far more brief period I gave FL a spin. FL was too confusing for me, and far more than I want. I did install Traktion, but could not get it to work on my computer. I don't know why that was.

One nice thing is that if I were to purchase the Steinberg UR-22 with Cubase included, I would save the $60 I were going to spend to purchase Reaper.

Anyway, I'm asking you about hardware and here I am talking about the software. That said, I also read that Steinberg's drivers are more reliable than Behringer's.
So, what's your opinion?

Thanks
FW

Edit: Downloaded and installed trial of Cubase LE AI Elements 9 and for the life of me I will never use this software. I don't know how this version (the only one I could do a trial on) compares to what you get free with Steinberg hardware, but if that isn't a whole lot more intuitive then it is worthless to me.
That is one thing I have come to like about Reaper. sure -= it won't do anywhere near as much as Cubase will, but it does what I want and it does it well.
Also, to run Cubase, I would need to change my whole Windows desktop. When I first ran it, I got a notice that I needed to use one of the Windows 7 Aero themes. That is just weird. I have never run any software that would not run on the basic theme.
Not that this would be a deal-breaker. Whether or not I choose Steinberg over Behringer hardware is really not going to be decided by the software it includes. I just thought that, if I could use Cubase AI instead of Reaper, I would save the $60 license for Reaper - but I see that isn't going to happen.

Last edited:
All I tend to look for first is the interface has a wall-wart. Extra "juice" but its not required.
If youre not mobile, have the thing plugged in the wall instead of the USB powered only option.
But it sounds like your going LINE IN so maybe it doesnt matter as you dont need to power 8 mic preamps and Phantoms and headphone amps.
You want I/O and LINE IN..... that should drive your decision.

lol funny on the DAW, my 2cents is the DAW is all about if the graphics work for you and if it does everything you want.
Reaper has its issues I suppose but it seemed easiest for me, but I dont do MIDI and Keys and am very simple (its basically a Reel to Reel with better editing on the large monitor). Ive only had a few and also am not in the biz, so I hear Logic Pro is great too.
Im on windows 10 and Reaper has worked well, I was just noticing things seem to be alright on Wind10 since I excluded the auto-update for the drivers.
strange I tried a couple DAW and had the same experience....it was like "whoa? no way..wtf?".

I went through numerous interfaces and grabbed a Line 6 as a joke really, $45 used and the software PodFarm/Gearbox won me over.
Grabbed a UX8 or two....for $175 discontinued and really havent been able to convince myself anything else is really a huge improvement.
I can say the UX8 works well with Reaper and Windows 10. The UX2 is usb only and not close to the UX8 imo, but its still very useable if you add a headphone rack amp and outboard preamps....the PodFarm Platinum comes free for life with the discontinued UX8.
Because the UX8 is discontinued I cant really recommend it but fir a poormans HR hobby its pretty cool. They are still sold used form $150 to $650. lol

For a newer interface the UA Apollo Twin looks sweeeet.... theres some pro's use that thing on the road or whatever. Might be worth saving up or getting a 0% payment plan? Supposedly great preamps, nice headphone amp and top shelf plugs for free. not sure about MIDI.
Is it better than others, dont know?
Low current , low voltage, low heat devices have pretty good life spans.

Maybe the weakest link/ concern will be the room or mic and not the interface these days? Software-DAW performance? More Memory? Chipset and drivers?

I looked at the two I'd go Behringer if you dont need the MIDI I/O.
Its more than 50% off and has nearly the same functions.

Attachments

• interface hmm.png
    interface hmm.png
    291.1 KB · Views: 8
Well, it is very difficult to pass on the Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD for $60. I don't need MIDI, nor do I ever expect to. As far as USB power, I think my mobo has enough capacity. I will be using headphones mostly, and maybe connect my stereo receiver line-inputs to the line-out on the AI. I don't plan to make use of 48V phantom power.
In the end, all I really want is a better sound than the on-board Realtek can deliver. And the ability to connect/disconnect cables without having to be an acrobat.

lol..yeah the acrobat thing gets old fast.

if moneys an issue theres often some good used multi I/O units that might be found but again, if you dont need 8 ins, then what else is there?

Just a note, Cubase doesn't require a specific 'Aero' theme. Only that it is enabled. You can pick any theme you want.

This is actually a good thing and haven't heard any complaints since that was first introduced. Actually, it is a good thing for performance.

Reaper is cool too tho. :) Whatever works best for you.

I'm with coolcat on the brand but I'd pay the extra $30 and get the Uphoria 404 for $89 you get everything the Steinberg has plus two extra audio inputs. You may or may not ever use the midi but as you advance in your Reaper skills you may be glad you have the option in your box...for an extra $30 it's a no brainer... After my LINE 6 UX8 died I looked at everything major brand that was out there and I am sold on the UPHORIA...if I was to get anything else it'd be the Tascam stuff. I'm just forcing myself to hold off until I finish my music room so I'll actually complete this way too long of a construction remodel project that has been waiting for completion. My reward will be the interface.

You were on the right path with Reaper IMO and there are MANY Reaper users here at HR.com...just a very well thought out ever evolving almost "open source" recording software...Some people love Cubase. I am sure it works just fine once you get past the learning curve...From what I personally have experienced REAPER was much easier to learn and the user groups out there for it are unbeatable

yeah TAE, that Monitor A/B switch alone is worth it, and all the extra I/O. then a wallwart for 1000ma supply vs 500ma USB.
thats a lot fo $30.

Back