Looking to build a new computer- recommendations?

Jae_

I am looking at building a new computer (preferably Windows). I almost exclusively just record vocals for studio projects, so I just need something that is suitable for a singer only. Budget is flexible. I'd like something that won't quickly be obsolete. I don't know much about computers. I have a friend who will put it all together for me, just need to tell him what to get. I would appreciate any recommendations for all the essential parts I will need. I feel kind of overwhelmed looking stuff up online because I don't know what any of the stuff is that they refer to or how to evaluate it for my needs. Thanks in advance. :-)

This is a bit of a tricky one Jae because there are so many imponderables if you want something future proof.

For instance, you will HAVE to go Windows 10. Yes! No! I don't like it and I bet you don't if you've been there but, in 5 years time or less you would have hardware trouble e.g. interface (will come back to that)

Then there is Thunderbolt. It has only just (last week) come to my attention that, although there are shedloads of TB PCIe cards about, not many Windows MOBOs can be relied upon to support them, well, maybe for a display or a hard drive but we ALL know how fussy audio kit is!
So, like it or not, to have a really versatile PC platform you are going to need a MOBO that has TB3 built in (AFAIK) AND USB 3.0/3.1/C in order to keep up with gear that is coming down the line.

Coming back...Interfaces: you have, I believe a FWire AI at the moment? Pretty much retire that. The Next Big Thing seems to be TB interfaces (till RME do it with USB C. And they will!) that have SUCH low latency that you doo not need, don't get in fact, the highly complex DSP mixer. Presonus Quantum and Slate Audio. So, maybe instead of starting thinking 'What PC specc do I need" maybe you should decide on the AI you need to take you into the future? No Brainer for me. IF I had the disposable Wonga and needed a top line setup I would go RME. Then ask THEM about a PC specc'!

As ever, check out Sound On Sound | The World's Premier Music Recording Technology Magazine and Pete (Mr Scan)

Dave.

Thanks, Dave. Yeah, I am not excited about Windows 10. I am still running Windows 7 on all my other computers. I've heard Windows 10 can be pretty annoying in some ways.

What is MOBO?

I do have Firewire at the moment and I definitely would retire that going forward. I don't know much about Thunderbolt. Aren't they exclusive to Macs?

What other things do I need to consider in terms of hardware, such as RAM or sound cards or whatever?

Thanks, Dave. Yeah, I am not excited about Windows 10. I am still running Windows 7 on all my other computers. I've heard Windows 10 can be pretty annoying in some ways.

What is MOBO?

I do have Firewire at the moment and I definitely would retire that going forward. I don't know much about Thunderbolt. Aren't they exclusive to Macs?

What other things do I need to consider in terms of hardware, such as RAM or sound cards or whatever?

WTGR if you do not know the acronym "MOtherBOard" I would say you are a long way from being capable of 'building' or even specifying a computer for audio work.

Yes, W10 is horrible IMHO (tried it, gave PC to a grandson) but there is no escaping the fact that 7 IS doomed. Just like XP, one day you will have to let it go* so since you are looking for a powerful machine that will hopefully last a good five years, Ten is really the only option..Learn to love it!

TB IS was peculiar to macs but is THE up and coming connection protocol (USB 3/3.1/C will exist in parallel as it did with FW and might eventually eclipse TB because the latter is expensive to connect) It is coming, slowly to PC MOBOs but AFAIK you must be very careful what you buy NOW because the support is patchy and not properly sorted. Personally I would wait for a PC MOBO to arrive with TB on board and preferably one that had been tested by the audio community. N.B TB can be adapted (at a cost!) to deliver FW support but whether YOUR particular AI will run on that kludge is in the gift of the gods.

Hardware specs? I am NOT a computer guru! Just standing in here with megre knowledge till someone slaps me! However, I would go for a well known i7 CPU (not a super-duper super hot o/clocked gamer but something fast but stable) Eight G of ram seems the minimum these days (and in truth should probably be viewed as a max? Extra ram slots are however probably no bad thing?) Interface? As I said, THAT should be the first decision. How many tracks do you want to run? How will you work? All in same room or will you have the luxury of a recording room and a separate 'control' room? The genre will have a bearing on hardware. Will keyboards and MIDI figure large?

Only about a month ago I had NO doubts what I would buy if I had the cash and the need. The new RME TB/USB 3.0 interface. Then the Presonus Quantum burst on the scene! You might like the look of the Soundcraft Signature mixers? The AI/mixer lines have blurred considerably in only the last year. So, basically, decide WHAT you want to do, who with and how many at a time and where you musics are going to end up. THEN decide on an AI and THEN! Start learning about computer design!

*You could build a W7 machine and NEVER update it or put it on the internet but even here, hardware goes wrong/need upgrading and there might not be W7 drivers for that shiny new 'gubingsa' in 2020!

Last word ? Save like mad then talk to Scan!

Dave.

Back