Looking for automatic gain control for line-in

Barabba11

Hi all, thanks for reading and help.

I've to record DJ sessions, the line in is directly connected to the mixer master output (and can't be connected differently for some reasons), as we suppose the DJ starts the party time playing with lower volume then in the heart of the night, as result the beginning is recorded with less bit depth resolution and it needed to be manually amplifed later.

I'm looking for a very simple tool that is able to adjust the Window's mixer record line in slider with a certain logic.. I've to set the average volume (for example -6dB) ad the time of average calculation and the time of change.. that means if I have for example the last minute playing at -20dB average, it increase the line in slider slowly till reaching -6dB, if the average becomes -4dB it reduces it slowly, and so on.

I searched for hours in Google and nothing like this exist, and I'm a bit shocked.. looks easy to do and useful.
Thank you for help.

Last edited:
IF, I understand correctly (and I am pretty sure I don't, quite.) You are trying to record the total, music plus voice over, sounds of a disco rig over the course of a night's gig and you find the level of the feed varies over that time?

Welcome to the world of live recording! Be grateful you are not using tape. You mention a start level of -6dB. Is that -6dB "FS" i.e. the level in the recording software ? If so that is way, way too hot.

Assuming you are recording at 24 bits (and 44.1kHz) you can set the record level at -20dBFS or even lower. Keep an eye over the course of the evening and pull it even lower if you need to. The disco rig you see will SURELY be noisier than the computer system and so will define the noise floor.
This is no different in principle to recording a live band.

After the event you can edit the recoding and level up the signals in software at your leisure.

Dave.

Back