live with firepod!

DuoToneBand

Hey. I am playing at a party with my band in about a month and i am head of all the sound. We are not going to need a full PA setup because both guitarists have half stacks (Dr. Z Perscription and Marshall mk2) and the bassist has a 2x12 agular setup with a nice QSC poweramp. My problem is this. We need to amplify the vocals and maybe a little snare. We are planning on recording everything into my firepod and using my moms ibook g4. My bassist and i would also like to run our IEM's but we do not need our own mixes. My dad has 2 Laney Lineback Pro guitar amps that he said I could use. Should i dedicate a output of only vocals and snare and send it to the 2 laney amps for vocals? I dont want to spend any extra money. Would that work. For the IEM mix, i am going to run the headphone out to the headphone amp, so that aint a problem. PLEASE HELP!

I also had a question about this - is it possible to lead the guitars into the firepod, then take their lineouts into the guitar amps? ...Will this mess anything up?

This question is also posted in 'Other Equipment and Reviews' forum. See my reply there.

And DO NOT post the same question in more than one forum. That's called crossposting and doing it excessively could lead to you getting banned from homerecording.com...

I've done a similar situation with my band in a rehearsal recording sesson. This is what we did:

1. Drums Left Overhead (Mic Direct into 1010LT)
2. Drums Right Overhead (Mic Direct into 1010LT)
3. Rhythm Guitar (Splitter at instrument/effect input)
4. Keyboards (Submix from mixer)
5. Lead Guitar (Line out from amp)
6. Lead Vocals (Line from mixer)
7. Backup Vocals (Line from mixer)

This 7 channel setup actually worked out pretty well for my first attempt. The guitars don't sound completely wonderful being direct lines from the amps, but a bit of modeling can help that, and there is the unfortunate bit of bleed from the mics that will ease the situation. Since it is a live recording, it won't matter so much as getting the eventual levels correct.

I am miking the amps. The bass will be from the agular preamp FX out. Vocals will be direct in and then a aux out with the vocals to probably the 2 guitar amps for the vocals. I am not worrying about mixing down or anything. I have a lot of expirence with my firepod.

Back