little Q about soundcards

jimmychan

I am finally getting round to buying myself a PC for making music, just an amateur set-up, but I'd just like a little advice on soundcards.

People on this board have recommended the Midiman Audiophile for the digital and a cheap Soundblaster Live to do any MIDI stuff. The place I'm getting the PC made at doesn't have Audiphile cards, but I was thinking of just getting a SB Live to get me started (doing digital + MIDI) and then adding the Audiophile when I can get the money together and find somewhere that has it etc.

However, at this shop I could get a SB Audigy Player for £40 more - would this be worth it seeing as it may be some time before I can add the Audiophile? Audigy Platinum and Platinum EXs are about £100 more and I've been told aren't worth THAT extra amount of money, but is the Audigy Player worth the extra £40 over the Live?

OR... Videologic Sonic Fury cards are £30 more than the Live; I've never really heard of this card, but is this worth it?

Another quickie: Is it still recommended at the moment that I get Win2000 rather than XP? I'm wanting to run Cubase hopefully.

Thanks a lot for help.

Jim

Get M-Audio Audiophile.. It's cheaper than SB Audiogy.. It's only $160 @ www.musiciansfriend.com I was about to order SB Audiogy for $250, but lots of people recommended me to get M-Audio Audiophile card.. It's cheaper and I THINK it's better.. =)

get the absolute cheapest SB Live you can find...it will put you that much closer to the real card (Audiophile).....

dear Gidge,

Am I reading your reply correctly? Are you suggesting that the cheapest SB card is comparable to the audiophile?

confused

jay

The Soundblaster will only serve for MIDI purposes (not included on the Audiophile). No need for more features. Therefore, getting the cheapest available SB will do the trick, leaving all the rest for the other soundcard.

While waiting to purchase the Audiophile, one can record everything through the SB Live. It's only a matter of sound quality.

giashel said what i meant...sorry about that.....

you can get a really cheap SoundblasterLiveValue card for as little as $25 US...do a search on www.pricewatch.com

it will do midi and soundfonts just as well as the more expensive soundblasters, even the audigy....i believe the audigy lets you use more memory for soundfonts, so if thats an issue, again get the cheapset audigy...$55 US check pricewatch......

the Audigy wont get you much better, if any better, quality on digital audio than the regular Live card so its best to save your money by getting the cheapest SB card now and using the saved money to get the Audiophile sooner.....

if i confused u again, im sorry......

Back