Linux USB interface?

HeatSinks

I own a condenser mic and a Linux laptop. What are my best options?

I have been using a preamp (mainly to provide phantom power to the mic) and sending the output of the preamp to the mic jack on the laptop. Unfortunately the preamp overheats and I need to keep the gain near zero to keep the computer input from clipping. Are there any USB interface options for Linux?

You got the Fast Track working on a Linux machine? The article indicates they could get the interface to power on and be recognized, but recording did not work. The M-Audio USB Interface driver on sourceforge does not support Fast Track. Evidently the driver hasn't been updated since 2006. I'd love to know your workaround; I'm reluctant to gamble on buying an interface that may not work.

I used to have it with Linux but I moved to Windows 7 as I upgraded my computer. The updated drivers for Linux can be downloaded at 4Front Technologies as M-Audio stopped developing drivers for Linux.

The drivers are here... OSS Download Registration

The package you download here contains all the soundcard drivers. The software configurator will automatically detect your hardware and install the corrrect driver.

I think you need to be more focusing on ALSA, rather than OSS. I find ALSA info is hard to precisely locate, but I understand that recent ALSA versions (1.0.23 on) supports USB Class 2 audio devices. If you are using the most recent version of your distro, you should be OK. Or, you can probably just update ALSA if needed. In other words, a current ALSA system should support the Fast Track out of the box. You will need to correctly configure jack if want to do anything more than simple capture and playback.

Mind you, I can not confirm that with personal experience as my kit is firewire.

Paul

Back