Linux Recording ??

...I like trying out different OS's and different recording app's. I waited for Nuendo to be available for BeOS, but then hopes of that vanished (along with BeOS).

I don't think you will find a multitracker for linux or any other non-microsoft/apple operating system.

You may find some beta version of a multitracker, like on the links you listed. Whether or not these softwares will do what you need them to do is the question. They most likely won't have the common features one would expect, and any hopes of development/improvement is up to - no one.

It's a win-tel world, afterall.

If you find something that looks interesting, let me know, as ...

RE: Linux Recording Stuff

Broadcast 2000
http://heroinewarrior.com/bcast2000.php3

I've used it on Red Hat 7.1 w/a Delta 1010 w/the OpenSound drivers.....

Just played w/it a bit...nothing serious...but it looked/sounded promising

However, you can't DL it anymore b/c they gave some spiel about having excess liability or something or another and not wanting to get into any lawsuits...

I found several others, but they didn't look as promising....so I'm still just using Win2k and N-Track v3.0

There are some apps, but like Emeric says, mostly betas. But something to look for. If someone knows more about these, let me know. As this pc is going to be replaced, it will be used to try out things like linux.

Well, I haven't really gotten my feet wet yet about this. I am working on it though. When Ihave the time to play around in Linux I am still working on setting up hardware and stuff. I did look at quite a few web pages and found this article:

http://noframes.linuxjournal.com/articles/style/00009.html

it is from Linux journal and it looks quite promising. It includes screenshots and even HOWTOs. I think I am going to try this setup as soon as I get enough time to play around in Linux.

ez-e, you mentioned open drivers...do they have those for many sound cards (like open GL for video?) or was it just for your delta stuff?

Well...I will keep you posted on my findings.
MIKE

Well, for drivers there seem to be two systems:

www.alsa-project.org with a list of supported soundcards. Then there is www.ladspa.org being some sort of VST thing.

www.opensound.com/linux-x86.html with a list of supported cards.

The only brand I found that is realy active on the linux front is RME with the Hammerfall, if you know of others, let me know.

Problem is, each recording app works with one of those driver sets, but not with both as far as I understand. All 3 sites have again a lot of links worth exploring. Nothing is as clearcut as under widows or mac I'm afraid.

Back