Linux CLI-compatible DAW

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
Hey folks. I'm planning a project which will require my server to render projects upon certain cues from websites. (i.e. user clicks a link, project renders, user is given the mp3/FLAC)

Can anyone recommend a DAW which has those capabilities (i.e. running on linux and rendering from the command line without launching a GUI)?
I'm currently using Reaper as my main DAW but it's looking like it lacks those abilities.

Hey folks. I'm planning a project which will require my server to render projects upon certain cues from websites. (i.e. user clicks a link, project renders, user is given the mp3/FLAC)

Can anyone recommend a DAW which has those capabilities (i.e. running on linux and rendering from the command line without launching a GUI)?
I'm currently using Reaper as my main DAW but it's looking like it lacks those abilities.

Check out Ubuntu's Studio. Not sure what Ardour can do, but might be in direction are are looking for.

you might want to contact authors of ardour. they did something like that for thier version they wrote for Harrison Broadcast Systems used on thier consoles.

if it is for mixed down tracks there are several command like converters. load the ubuntu studio package. you can always install the x server go thru the gui and see. when installing ubuntu server the gui is not started by default unless you wanted started. for work like this I would load the xwindows packages and have the gui so I can write the php code on the machine then reboot and since ubuntu server won't execute the xserver by default its not running but at least if you need to debug and edit you can always can start the x server by typing startx like in the old days. then reboot to clean the enviroment up.
also you might have to load the restricted-extras if the ubunti-studio package doesn't install it by default (usually). you might be required to obtain liscenes from the encoder.

you might want to install it as the ubuntu studio then install you lamp and then disable the xserver daemon at startup. This will gain you the low latency kernal. the gui package manager is more maintained than the aptitude available on the command line.

A full OS distro probably won't work for this since I'll be deploying it on an existing (CentOS) server, but I'll definitely look into it and see which packages I can cannibalize!
Thank you!

A full OS distro probably won't work for this since I'll be deploying it on an existing (CentOS) server, but I'll definitely look into it and see which packages I can cannibalize!
Thank you!

I am sure you are aware, but get comfortable with Jack if you install the components. As a matter of fact, a LAMP install is probably easier and better documented than Jack (this was a few years back), but don't forget to install that to get the audio to work.

Back