Which Linux-based software should I try?

elsmandino

Hello,

I would love to dip my toe in the recording world and would be grateful for any advice before I start.

I use Linux Mint, so need something that will work on the at platform - there seem to be quite a few programs to choose from.

I have a few guitars, a midi keyboard and a Steinberg Ur22 MKII.

Ultimately, I therefore need something that can offer:

Midi Support

Guitar Effects (I don't have any affects units)

Support for at least 16 tracks

Drums

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

There is a guy, Folderol over at soundonsound.com that is top bllx with Linux. I loaned him my NI KA6 for a month then he bought one. Well'appy.

Dave.

Are there any full-featured DAWs native to linux besides Ardour?

Sonic-pi has a lot of those features and runs on Linux, but isn't a DAW.
Audacity is a DAW but has a very limited feature set.

If you want to play with WINE, you could run Reaper or any windows-native DAW, I suppose.

I struggled with Linux for the last six months. Ardour was fine. My biggest problem was finding an audio interface that was compatible. Even one that was supposed to be compatible was not. I finally decided a new computer was less expensive than more audio interfaces and bought a Windows machine.

My advice is if you want to go the Linux route is buy an audio interface with a good return policy..... In my case, I wish it could have worked out. Linux is a very stable and easily configurable platform

Brad

I struggled with Linux for the last six months. Ardour was fine. My biggest problem was finding an audio interface that was compatible. Even one that was supposed to be compatible was not. I finally decided a new computer was less expensive than more audio interfaces and bought a Windows machine.

My advice is if you want to go the Linux route is buy an audio interface with a good return policy..... In my case, I wish it could have worked out. Linux is a very stable and easily configurable platform

Brad

Did you ever contact Sound on Sound? Did you try the Native Instruments KA6? As I said, I know of at least one satisfied user.

That said, Windows W7 can be very stable given a decently powerful computer (i5 min these days tho' this i3 HP serves me for basic audio work) optimized in the sense of stopping WiFi and any other junk that might grab resources.

Dave.

I struggled with Linux for the last six months. Ardour was fine. My biggest problem was finding an audio interface that was compatible.

Most of the PCI interfaces are compatible. Some Firewire interfaces are compatible too. For FW you need ffado.

But don't shoot me if Linus and his kernel hackers decide to drop it from the kernel in the next release. That happened with the Emagic A26 and A62 fi. The decided it was too old...

Did you ever contact Sound on Sound? Did you try the Native Instruments KA6? As I said, I know of at least one satisfied user.
Dave.

I know there were interfaces out there, but just not mine :) . I went to a database that had a list of interfaces that worked and mine was listed..... with some code mods. I tried those mods and it didn't work. It took me a week of research just to get the USB port to recognize the device (I am not a programmer, and FORTRAN does not seem to be the language of choice anymore :D).

My advice to the OP is to try one of those interfaces that work "out of the box", which I think the KA6 does (along with a host of others.....).

I was kind of forced into Linux once Vista didn't offer anymore security upgrades, so my hands were tied with the AI I already had. I am not bashing linux, in fact, I liked the ability to use command switches through the console..... it took me back to the old DOS days.....

Are there any full-featured DAWs native to linux besides Ardour?

Sonic-pi has a lot of those features and runs on Linux, but isn't a DAW.
Audacity is a DAW but has a very limited feature set.

If you want to play with WINE, you could run Reaper or any windows-native DAW, I suppose.

There is one called Tracktion that I tried out. I believe it was routed through JACK in Linux. I looked at it, but since I was more familiar with the Alsa audio routing, I went the way of Ardour. Ardour also had more features.

I believe both of those DAW's have problems with limited plugins and MIDI capabilities. (I could be wrong here..... it's been a while since I looked into it....)

Back