Linking ADAT connections

GendoPose

Hi all!

I recently have been given an older Mac as well as a Digi002 control surface. The interface has 4 inputs as well as ADAT and SPDIF I/O. Now, if I bought a mic preamp, I could connect this to the 002 using the ADAT connections and that will give me 12 inputs.

Is it possible to daisy chain more than one preamp or interface? My next purchase is a Focusrite Scarlet 18i20, which also has ADAT and SPDIF. Would it be possible to say plug the preamp into the Scarlet and then chain the Scarlett + Preamp to the Digi002 via ADAT? I read that ADAT only sends 8 channels, so if that's true then this wouldn't be possible, right?

Just hope someone can clarify!

Thanks!

ADAT will carry 8 channels at up to 48K. If you want to run 96K, it'll only be 4 channels.

The answer to the question about chaining is RTFM. It's completely dependent on the devices you're working with.

You will not be able to get 16 simultaneous inputs by daisy chaining the preamps together. ADAT is 8 discreet channels, think of it as an 8 channel snake. Even if you could daisy chain devices together, you will still only get 8 channels at a time.

You can add 4 channels of external mic pres via the analog line inputs 5-8 on the Digi002. The ADAT input gives you another 8 channels for a total of 16 if the ADAT source has preamps. Maybe you could use the Scarlett, RTFM.

Back