Limitations Limitations

nexusman

OK - Here's my setup... I have a Mackie 24x4 which limits me to mix to the 4 busses... I have a Fostex FD-8 which limits me to record 2 channels at a time... I am thinking about DAW recording/mixing because I would like to record a live drum kit on 6 channels... If I byte the bullet and purchase a soundcard & assoc. software, then where does my FD-8 fit in? I do like the preamps on the Mackie so that seems to still fit... Could I do this scenerio?

Use Mackie to FD-8 to record 2 drum tracks while sending 4 more from Mackie to a 4 input sound card... Then transfer the 2 channels from the FD-8 to the DAW for editing/mastering? (Saves me some $ from getting an 8-input card)

Thanks

The sync is what you would have to look out for. I'd put tom's on the FD8.

What if you have a click track on each - the computer and FD8. On the FD8, have a click track on channel 1, and a submix of the other tracks on channels 2 and 3 (I assume your playing TO something). Record toms on channels 4 and 5 of the FD8. Send the cue/headphone mix from the FD8, while recording on both the computer(kick/snare/overhead left right) and the FD8 (tom1/tom2) Leave 4 bars or so at the start, with the click going. After the recording, output the 2 tom tracks and the click (channels 1,4,5) into your computer/multitracker software, line up the click on the computer, with the click from the FD8.

No idea if this will work well or not.

Or, you could submix the tom's with the overheads and get a decent mix with some tweaking, and only need 4 inputs.

Don't forget you can take direct outs from the Mackie. i.e.
Bass - direct out
kick- direct out
snare - direct out
hihat - direct out
Toms - group 1/2,
o/heads - group 3/4

That's 8 out. Just need a sound card with eight in.

cheers
john

Thanks guys - I didn't think about the sync issues... It's probably worth it to go to the 8-in soundcard and use the inserts for the additional outs like John suggested... Now if I do that, what use am I gonna have for that FD-8??

Back