Like the Echo AudioFire12's clock?

I just got mine today. I love the sound quality of the d/a's, haven't tried the a/d's yet, nor have I tried syncing it to anything yet. I'm sure the clock contributes to the sound, but I understand that the stellar sound quality owes both to the choice of a/d d/a chip (Cirrus Logic CS-4272) and the method of filtering used by these converters:
from Sound on Sound:
"These particular converters use IIR (Infinite Impulse Response) filters instead of the more usual FIR (Finite Impulse Response) designs adopted by most competitors like AKM. Much research has been carried out to determine why many people hear an improvement in digital audio quality at 96kHz and higher sample rates compared with 44.1kHz, and many experts now seem to agree that it's not the extended frequency response that provides the audible improvements, but the gentler high-end filtering, resulting in better impulse response with less 'time smear' and cleaner transients."
full article: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct05/articles/echoaudiofire.htm?print=yes

kojdogg said:
I just got mine today. I love the sound quality of the d/a's, haven't tried the a/d's yet, nor have I tried syncing it to anything yet. I'm sure the clock contributes to the sound, but I understand that the stellar sound quality owes both to the choice of a/d d/a chip (Cirrus Logic CS-4272) and the method of filtering used by these converters:
from Sound on Sound:
"These particular converters use IIR (Infinite Impulse Response) filters instead of the more usual FIR (Finite Impulse Response) designs adopted by most competitors like AKM. Much research has been carried out to determine why many people hear an improvement in digital audio quality at 96kHz and higher sample rates compared with 44.1kHz, and many experts now seem to agree that it's not the extended frequency response that provides the audible improvements, but the gentler high-end filtering, resulting in better impulse response with less 'time smear' and cleaner transients."
full article: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct05/articles/echoaudiofire.htm?print=yes

translation.........more head room..........

I use a Lucid GenEx 96-6 superclock..........it made a huge difference with my Delta 10/10........A/D and D/A

joro said:
translation.........more head room..........
i would think it probably means better high end and transient response? wouldn't headroom be more of a function of the converter itself and the analog path to the converter?

no ....I don't think so dude.........

I think the cleaner....leaner...and crisper the higher frequencies.....the more headroom you get in your mix........thus....a better...more dynamic mix....

and that's what I get 24/96.............

if I wasn't deaf now.....I might be able to hear the difference....but Tinitus has ruined my mixing ears dude......I used to be able to hear it..........not anymore though.....just ringing........

joro said:
no ....I don't think so dude.........

I think the cleaner....leaner...and crisper the higher frequencies.....the more headroom you get in your mix........thus....a better...more dynamic mix....

and that's what I get 24/96.............

if I wasn't deaf now.....I might be able to hear the difference....but Tinitus has ruined my mixing ears dude......I used to be able to hear it..........not anymore though.....just ringing........

I was looking for a good definition of headroom, because I was pretty sure that I saw one recently and there's one in the Audiofire manual :)

"The difference between the nominal level and the loudest signal that can be recorded without clipping is called 'headroom'. Your Echo product provides approximately 14dB of headroom allowing an 18dBu signal to be recorded"

Again, I don't think that the passage I cited from Sound on Sound has to do with headroom per se, but bottom line, it sounds good :D!

kojdogg said:
Again, I don't think that the passage I cited from Sound on Sound has to do with headroom per se, but bottom line, it sounds good :D!
It also falls in line with what a lot of people have been saying here and what I have experienced myself.

kojdogg, which interface were you running before the audiofire? did you notice anything weird with the transients while using your previous interface?

Thanks for the comments, guys. I had an error when I first tried to post this and when I checked before typing it again it wasn't there, so I just said "screw it." But it was a nice suprise to see it actually got posted (later, I guess) and people are responding. So thanks :)

Down the road I plan on getting something like a Big Ben, but since my former setup has gone tits up, I'm actually having to start somewhere near scratch. Which means I won't have the money for a good clock for a while, so I want to make sure that this baby's clock is sufficient.

Back