Lexicon Alpha with Cubase Elements 7

mjmooney

Hi guys,

Hope you can help out a hopeless newbie, here.

I've been recording using a Zoom R24, but have recently started using Cubase Elements 7 for mixing on my laptop. So as to be able to use my monitors for mixdown, I bought a Lexicon Alpha audio interface. Now, as a playback system, this works fine, but then I thought I'd have a go at overdubbing using the Lexicon's instrument input. And I can't get Cubase to recognise the input sound from my guitar at all.

Of course, the Alpha comes with a copy of Cubase 5 (redundant to me, as I already have 7), so all the examples in the manual show the screenshots for 5 - and 7 looks very different.

Is anybody out there using C7 with an Alpha, that could talk me through what I need to do to get it to recognise the input?

Thanks,

Mike

Hello,

It would be good to know if you are on a Mac or on a PC...
If you are on a Mac first go to: System Preferences > Sound > Input > and select Lexicon Mac.
If you are on a PC make sure you have the latest drivers for the interface installed, you should find them on the Lexicon Website.

Once you have done this open Cubase Elements 7 and go to Devices > Device Setup > VST Audio System > and on the ASIO Driver menu select Lexicon USB.

Once you have done this you have to create the proper VST connections for your guitar.
In this is a Mono instrument so you need to create a mono bus.
Go to Devices > VST connections > By default there will be a Stereo bus, right click on top of it and remove it.
Now add a new bus by clicking on "Add Bus", add a mono bus and rename it "guitar"

It will be assigned to input 1 (most of the times)

Close this window, return to the project page and add a Mono track > enable the monitor (the button that looks like a small speaker) and you should see signal coming into the track.

Best regards,
GN

Hi Guillermo,

Thanks for the reply. I'm on a PC (Windows 8.1).

I tried your advice, but I think I must be missing something obvious. Here's what happens:

First, I start a new project

Start.jpg

I see this

Open%2Bproject.jpg

I set up the Lexicon Alpha

Device%2Bsetup.jpg

I create the mono bus

Add%2Bbus.jpg

I add a mono track (not sure if I needed to do this, as the project wizard already created a guitar track)

Add%2Btrack.jpg

My main screen now looks like this

Result.jpg

With the guitar plugged in to channel 1 and the monitor button enabled, I can hear the guitar in my headphones. When I press record and go on the project screen, and play, no signal registers on the screen.

ScreenHunter_24%2BApr.%2B13%2B18.41.jpg

Can't help feeling I'm being stupid here! :facepalm:

Mike

Have you armed the track for recording? I'm not a Cubase user but I'm sure that the documentation will point you to the "arm" button on each track.

Hello,

From what I can see on the screen you are recording on an Instrument track... That is for MIDI and virtual instruments.
What happens when you try on the track bellow, which is an audio track?
You should try with a new empty project, and just add one Audio track, not an Instrument track.

Best regards,
GN

Last edited:
Hello,

From what I can see on the screen you are recording on an Instrument track... That is for MIDI and virtual instruments.
What happens when you try on the track bellow, which is an audio track.
You should try with a new empty project, and just add one Audio track, not an Instrument track.

Best regards,
GN
Ah, OK. I did wonder about that. Thanks, I'll try it and get back to you.

Back