Levels and metering - analog v/s digital

Just mix straight from the buses.

However, as time goes on, upgrades and future compatibility issues might render your VST useless. That would be the reason to actually record the audio from the VST. But you can do this after you are done mixing the song, for backup purposes.

I can't tell you how many times someone came back to me a few years later to remix, rework or re-release a song and I had to try to match the original sounds with new samples because of some software compatibility issue with the old sampler and my newer computer.

thats what i was thinking.. but you have a good reason to record audio too.
And def gonna be much more careful with gain and faders now.

Hello Farview, been trying out all the suggestions in the mix. Though my concern is that the individual track levels and peaks are fine, around the -18db mark, with drums peaking at -10db. Its the master bus that goes upto -3, -6db when all instruments are playing. Is that too hot even for the master bus? My master bus meter easily goes to -6db with just 4 instruments at -18db. The approx. level for individual channels should be around -18dbfs before mixing. But how much should the approx. level reading on the master bus be before mixing?

Just trying to get a hand on where does gain staging end and moving the faders begin.

Thanks!

Back