Latency ?? USB Card has a huge delay compared to the mobo soundcard

WelchRecording

I've recently acquired a M-Audio FastTrack Pro USB Audio Interface, and it's great w/ XLR inputs and extremely quality playback into my StudioPro3 speakers, but when I try to record I get a considerable delay between playing and encoding where as when I used a direct plugin to the PC soundcard I never had that problem. I've played with the quality settings and the only way to remove latency is to not be able to hear anything by setting things to 0 or negative values.

My question is, is there any way I can fix/remove this latency so that I can continue to play into my SM-57 mic into the FastTrack Pro instead of playing directly into my motherboard's soundcard?

So there's a specific driver I need to find? The drivers I installed didn't give me any ASIO control panel or anything and they came on the CD.

Look in your DAW software, probably under options or something like that, for a choice between WDM or ASIO driver. Pick ASIO. But I think your real problem is that you haven't selected hardware monitoring.

I've only been playing w/ Ableton Live 6, but when I select ASIO instead of MME/DirectX it still gives me latency. Thanks for the help though I really appreciate it I'm probably just doing something stupid I'll fix it.

Probably a dumb question but is your input USB 2+?
Using a cheap/slow USB hub? Don't laugh, it happens.

If none of the above, maybe a BIOS flash update would help.

Again, make sure you're selecting HW monitoring, not software monitoring. Then the degree of latency won't matter, within reason.

Even when using software monitoring, that card when properly setup is as low latency as anything else that isnt RME/MOTU

Back