Latency Problem

corpsee

Greetings friends, hope ur all enjoying Xmas,

Im relatively new to computers and I am having a very annoying problem with my musical efforts.
The trouble is that when I use a sequencer such as Cubase, and try to use the sounds frm any VST instruments (or any sounds from my "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth" card), anything I play on my hardware synth is delayed before I actually hear the sound. However when I select OUTPUT "MPU-401" In Cubase I can use my Hardware Synths own sounds without this problem.
Someone suggested this might be something called latency, how can I solve this problem

I have a Packard Bell "imedia" 4705
Intel Celeron 1GHz
128Mb RAM
20 Gb Hard Drive
+Intel 82801AA AC`97 Audio Controller- SigmaTel Codec

It's possible that if here are ASIO drivers available for that onboard chip you have, that you might be able to get it to work with a small enough latency as to be negligible. But with standard MME drivers the softsynths will not respond quickly enough in realtime.

One solution is to monitor what you're playing off your hardware synth, and switch to the VSTi after the MIDI data's been recorded.

Thanks guys, I`ve been monitoring from hardware synth and then switching to VSTi after as suggested. Not ideal but still fairly cool now that I can use some decent sounds. However when I switch to Microsoft Wavetabe everythings out of time with the VST & MPU-401 (Not too big a deal though since the Wavetable sounds are OK but not really all that in comparison with the other two). Also Gidge, could you let me know what you mean by SB Valve ( I`m fairly new to the whole music thing as well)
Is it an amp?
Thanks again
Corpsee

Back