Latency issue with Tascam USB 16x08

songsj

I have noticed a latency issue with my Tascam USB 16x08 interface. When I record in Reaper with direct monitoring everything monitors fine but on playback the vocal is not synced with the original tracks. I seem to not have this problem if I power up the Tascam before Iboot the computer or launch Reaper. I also noticed if I'm done recording and want to move to mixing when I shut off the Tascam Reaper freezes and has to be closed and reopened. Lucky no information is lost in this freeze. Wondering if anyone else has had these issues. Are they Tascam related, Reaper related or both.

1) Don't turn on the interface until the computer boots up.
2) Don't turn off the interface when you're using Reaper (why would you?)

What you are describing isn't latency (which is a delay when monitoring tracks while recording when not using direct monitoring). Reaper automatically compensates when lining up tracks, so if its not doing yours correctly, its a driver problem, and as it only happens when you turn on the interface before the computer ....

I might have described it wrong. It happens if I turn the computer on and launch reaper BEFORE I turn on the interface. It seems when I turn the interface on FIRST I have no problem. Easy to do, I was just curious as sometimes I forget to turn the interface on first. I guess I could leave my interface on when mixing I just did not really see the need if I'm done recording And I never tested to see if the still active mic would come through my monitors, [Not Cool] I am the only person I record so I leave my mic plugged in, all the pre settings the same etc. so they are always constant for me and ready to go when I am.

I must say I have never had that issue. Always have my interface/s on before I start recording computer. Always.

Haven't used a Tascam in some years but it would have been the same for it with my setup. Rack gear goes on via Furman power conditioner. That also turns on the monitors. Then the recording PC which only runs when recording or mixing.

Cannot see why you would ever turn off an interface whilst using the computer?
AFAIK if using ASIO drivers the PC sound is getting its sync from the AI? Also, think on? If you had a PCI interface (as most of us did, I still have a 2496 in one PC) you would not disable that to send an email would you?

All my kit powers up from just two 13A outlets then I push the button on the desktop. NI KA6 blinks 3 times then is ready to rock. Don't use it a lot but am pretty sure my 8i6 does much the same.

Dave.

How can you mix without the interface being on? You've got to listen to the sound!
ANyway, that's the way Reaper works - if your interface is not on when you boot it up, then it gives you an error message and asks if you want to reconfigure your settings.

How can you mix without the interface being on? You've got to listen to the sound!
ANyway, that's the way Reaper works - if your interface is not on when you boot it up, then it gives you an error message and asks if you want to reconfigure your settings.

Exactly! If I last used the KA6 on this laptop then fire up Samplitude without it I get "Native Instruments ASIO not found". Matter of moments to change to the OBS soundcard.

Dave.

I do not have a control room, I have a home studio just for myself. My mics are in the same room as my monitors. I can hear because my monitors get their feed from my computer sound card not my interface. I am still learning. I am 62 and have come up from the old tape days. I used to track on a Tascam 2488 them export the files to my computer/Reaper for mixing. Had no interface until recently. This was my first recording with it so I'm sure I will be learning tons more about it over the next year. All I know is I'm not making it up. The track recorded but the timing was off several times. I will be paying more attention to what get turned on in what order and see if I have any other issues.

I do not have a control room, I have a home studio just for myself. My mics are in the same room as my monitors. I can hear because my monitors get their feed from my computer sound card not my interface. I am still learning. I am 62 and have come up from the old tape days. I used to track on a Tascam 2488 them export the files to my computer/Reaper for mixing. Had no interface until recently. This was my first recording with it so I'm sure I will be learning tons more about it over the next year. All I know is I'm not making it up. The track recorded but the timing was off several times. I will be paying more attention to what get turned on in what order and see if I have any other issues.

Morning spring chicken! Got ten years on you. The OBSound is of no use* nor interest to you now than you have a USB interface. ALL sound occuring in the computer should route through the AI.

The Tassy 16-08 was THE projjy studio multi-tracker for many years and there must be several members who have/had one and can help. The web is also probably awash with tutorial vids. Never had one myself (but always had an eye on Cash Generators!).

*One use is for recording audio coming through the PC. YT, radio and clips on forum (grrr!!) when they are not downloadable.

Dave.

We never turn our computer off. From time to time, using cubase with the tascam, we might go from one room to the studio jump in and discover a delay, power down the tascam and start it up again, and everything back to normal. I've tried to work out what happens, and I have discovered that for some reason, the tascam driver has been unloaded and replaced with Windows generic driver (using Windows 10). The power cycle restores the right driver and all is well. Cubase does not have to be restarted. I'm wondering if windows notices the lack of input and starts housekeeping, sees an old driver in use, and updates it with a newer one, which isn't what we want. It does this with a particular older USB driver we use for another bit of kit, in that connecting it makes Windows install its own latest driver, which doesn't work on the old product, when the old driver does. We have to put the old one back every time! Next time you hear the delay, double check the tascam driver is actually loaded and in use, I bet you'll find it isn't and you are using a different driver. Maybe reaper like cubase, allows driver changes without telling you.

Rob, I seem to recall there is a setting in Cubase whereby IT takes complete control of the audio "system"?

I shall see if I can find it but I have not booted up Cubase for many months.

Dave.

So, assuming we are talking Windows 7/10, you should plug in/turn on the audio interface before launching reaper. Windows is a curious beast when it comes to audio. We assume you have some kind of on board audio chipset. So, when you launch Reaper more than likely it’s grabbing the onboard audio via whatever driver and when you turn on the interface it can lead to misrouting of the the signal leading to some undesired results, like the playback lag you described. Be sure to turn the Tascam on *before* launching your DAW software and turn it off only after you have completely closed your DAW sw. Wouldn’t hurt to double check your settings in Reaper but plugging in/turning on your outboard audio I/f after or worse, while launching your DAW sw can cause Windows and the sw to have to ‘guess’ at which device you meant to use.
Another, more extreme approach would be to disable the onboard audio, usually through a bios setting in modern mobo’s. This actually makes the audio chipset invisible to Windows, unlike trying to disable via software settings within Windows.
When connected, I leave my outboard I/f on, just what I do, YMMV....

Best of luck!

Last edited:
So, assuming we are talking Windows 7/10, you should plug in/turn on the audio interface before launching reaper. Windows is a curious beast when it comes to audio. We assume you have some kind of on board audio chipset. So, when you launch Reaper more than likely it’s grabbing the onboard audio via whatever driver and when you turn on the interface it can lead to misrouting of the the signal leading to some undesired results, like the playback lag you described. Be sure to turn the Tascam on *before* launching your DAW software and turn it off only after you have completely closed your DAW sw. Wouldn’t hurt to double check your settings in Reaper but plugging in/turning on your outboard audio I/f after or worse, while launching your DAW sw can cause Windows and the sw to have to ‘guess’ at which device you meant to use.
When connected, I leave my outboard I/f on, just what I do, YMMV....

Best of luck!

Yus^ In fact, although OBS and external interfaces SHOULD co-exist happily, sometimes they don't. "Back in the day" it was standard procedure to stop the OBS (in Device Manager but better BIOS) before letting an external AI or its software anywhere near a computer.

You could try uninstalling the Tascam drivers, disabling (NOT uninstalling) the OBS. Reboot then re install the Tascam kit. You can then almost always re activate OBS should you wish to with impunity.

Should add (and this is REALLY old hat!) make sure Windows Sounds, those annoying bleeps and boings are stopped. Can cause sampling rates to jazz about!
Dave.

Back