Latency issue on Lenovo all in one

Ian Gev

Hello, I'm new here. After getting results I'm happy with using Audacity and Gearbox through LINE 6 TONE PORT UX2 I purchased an all in one Lenovo system and tried to bring myself up to date with technology (until this I was running xp). I loaded all my recording s/ware e.t.c. expecting better results because I was more up-to-date. However I am getting absolutely unworkable latency delay. I have tried Cool Edit Pro 2.1 and it's still there on that too. It is frustrating the hell out of me. Below is a quick report of my system, not sure what much of it means but someone may. If anyone can help me I will be extremely grateful. Thank you. Ian

Sorry, forgot report.

processor : AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics

Memory : 3517MB(1600)

Mother Board : Kabini CRB

Windows Version : Microsoft Windows 8.1

Installation Date : 2014-11-08

Monitor : Generic PnP Monitor

Video Adapter : AMD Radeon HD 8240

Mouse : USB Input Device

Keyboard : USB Input Device

Disk Drive : ST500DM0 02-1BD142 SATA Disk Device(465GB,IDE)

Disk Drive : TOSHIBA USB 2.5"-HDD(149GB,USB)

DVD/CD-ROM Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT80N SATA CdRom Device

------------------Operating System------------------

OS Name : Microsoft Windows 8.1

OS Language : English (United Kingdom)

OS Version : 6.3.9600

OS Type : 64 bit

Registered Owner : Ian

Registered Organization :

OS Installation Date : 20141108090845.000000+000

OS Root : C:\WINDOWS

Computer Name : IDEA-PC

User Name : Ian

Logon Domain : -

Uptime : 40049SEC(11 Hour 7 Minutes 29 Seconds)

Internet Explorer : 9.11.9600.17690

Windows Media Player : 12,0,9600,17415

DirectX : 4.09.00.0904

Last edited by a moderator:
Latency is adjustable (typically) by adjusting the buffer size in your driver software. You shouldn't be sharing your produc tkey/ID online, people can backdoor into your computer or steal your windows registration!

First, your CPU is a very low end dual core CPU, if I searched the right CPU. If you are recording/reading to your Seagate you should be fine. I would not recommend using a USB device for recording and using USB storage as well (that is a lot of data pushing).

As stated above, look at your buffer settings, remember, if you start to get noise, then you have to adjust back to the higher settings. Set your project to record to and read from your HD (just create a project folder in documents), limit your VSTs since you have a lower end CPU.

You can use the computer you have and it will serve you well, but it isn't a high end performer. Therefore VSTs could strain your system if you use too many. Just manage your resources and the computer will get you there.

Hello again, and thank you so much for your replies. and thank you jimmys69, just shows how stupid I really am I guess. After ripping my hair out with latency, device and sample/bit settings e.t.c. I finally decided to type "Audacity lag" into google and found a reply in a thread where someone said this

I have now solved this problem!
In EDIT>Preferences Audio In?OUT, change "latency correction". Change the value to -145. The value works on my computer after trying a wide range of values from +200 to -200. Also other setting I used were
Audio Buffer box default of 100.
Software Playthrough OFF
Over dub checked ON
Channels MONO (don't need stereo with a music keyboard)
Playback Device MME:Microfoft Sound Mapper Output
Recording Device MME:Microfoft Sound Mapper Input
I use Windows XP
This worked for me although I don't understand why. The "software playthrough" set to off seemed to me to be the key to it, why is that, it doesnt make sence? There is still an issue with the meter displays lagging and stuttering visually but at least I'm able to get tracks and over dubs down. Thanks again guys

Back