laptops?

Newbie dude

I've been recording on this desktop computer for about a year now. Unfortunately, it's not just dedicated to my recordings. It's the family computer, and it's getting chocked full of crap. I have to delete tons of my songs just to download a VST plug in.

I'd like to save up and buy a laptop just for my recording. I realise there's not really any such thing as a cheap laptop thats good for recording, but whats the cheapest good one you guys can think of?

dell maybe?

hey dude i use a dell inpiron 6000. i spent about $1000 but its upgraded and runs very smoothly for audio. dell reall sucks though with their warranties and stuff, and just went through a run around, but its still a very good computer. also, macs are excellent, they are more, but in the long run they might be worth it. just make sure all of your gear and software is compatible with macs. its up to you man. i live in nyc, and they have B and H here, (they also have a website), and they can help you get set up with your laptop and audio interfaces depdnign on what you need. hope that helps bud.
Josh

i have another idea.

hey dude, check out sweetwater.com, they have some cool stuff up there. i have the free magazine now and its awesome. check it out they might have some good deals on comps specifically made for audio.
peace. josh

You can even get a top end destop, gut it, and put it in a rack case, and still spend less

if you go laptop, make sure you have dedicated video memory...not a shared VGA thingy

I use a Sony Vaio but although it's called a laptop I'd say you'd have to have quite a lap to manage that. It's a big heavy beast.

The one tip I'd suggest is: QUIET. If you record with mikes, make sure it's dead quiet. I have an older Celeron-based Dell that is so quiet I use it right next to me - and four sensitive mikes - as a way of remote-controlling the Vaio, which is so noisy I keep it in the next room. (The two are linked through a little LAN.) I am about to upgrade to a Dell X1 and may use this as my music machine, though it's intended as a work machine.

Don't rely on the built-in sound card, either. The best interfaces, IMHO, are external ones that connect to your laptop via Firewire. You'll find numerous discussions in this forum. I happen to use the Yamaha i88x but there are several good ones.

All this depends, of course, on your budget and your ambitions. If you're hoping to make near-pro-quality recordings you'll have to spend some money. If it's just for fun, there are more budget-friendly options.

The Flame: Thanks. I'll check what you said out.

Beezelbubba: Really? Can I get a good desktop for around 600-1000 dollars> I don't know much about computers. And no, I don't have to go laptop, though another desktop would be kinda crowded, but I could do it if it's the better option.

The Flame said:
dell reall sucks though with their warranties and stuff, and just went through a run around

Just thought i'd put in a good word for dell on warranties. The fan bust on my dell so i phoned them up to buy a new fan, next thing i know even tho its 1 1/2 yrs old and i didnt know who it was registered to, they sent me a brand spanking new comp in less than two weeks and then forgot to recall the old comp!!

I most certainly love dell!!

Toby (MM)

I just bought a Compaq V2000 a couple of weeks ago I installed Pootools M-powered and had a hell of a time setting it up. But once I upgraded the HD to a 7200 rpm and installed a 1GB memory stick it runs pretty darn good for the approximate 800 total dollars I spent on it.

maximum octopus said:
Be careful with Newegg though. They are not very good at sending replacements and they can CRUSH you on shipping if you don't pay attention.

21 bucks to deliver a motherboard...pfft!

Cost me 7 bucks to send one from Wisconsin to Canada!

One of the rare negative comments I've ever seen about Newegg. In my opinion, no one in the industry is better overall than newegg.

I use a dual processor p4 3.8GHz toshiba satilite which I upgraded the ram and cleaned up windows for (removed crap that has nothing to do with what i want to do), works great for mobile recording and I use it live on stage (not that I ever go near it, but its there running VST effects on my vox :)) great laptop, but it wasnt cheap at all. If you dont need a laptop, get a desk top, youll get more for your money I'm actually looking into gettiing a rackmount comp to replace the laptop as my main mobile recording/live show comp. It will cost the same and be faster and easier to upgrade.

-C$

aaroncomp said:
One of the rare negative comments I've ever seen about Newegg. In my opinion, no one in the industry is better overall than newegg.

I never really started having problems with them until the last 6 months or so. It is a shame.

They are still highly rated and I will probably buy from them again. I am just putting it out there for info.

Back