laptop vs. desktop

laptop vs. desktop

• laptop

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • desktop

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters
How many of us have both? *raises hand*

Many use both, that should've been an option. Dammit man, what's wrong with you? :D j/k

Are you planning to get a laptop or desktop, or do you just want to know? If you want a reason why we use either a laptop or desktop, let us know, you fellow belgian!

no, i've made up my mind long time ago and went for the laptop since i do gigs as well (not many but still...). i was just curious about it since no one on hr.com ever seems to mention laptops. i had the impression it's all about studio buffs with their massive desktop setups but the results so far seem to tell something different (even though 3 out of 6 is hardly statisticly significant).

:) allways nice to meet other belgians abroad :)

:mad: btw you gave up the secret hiding place :mad:

FattMusiek said:
I'm no expert on laptobs, but they suck.

Thanks, bye.

ummmm.....let me think.....NO!!!

They do have their disadvatages but they surely don't suck, at least not now. It's true that laptops used to be behind the eight ball, but they are a lot better now a days

nothin' against laptops, but i sold mine for a powerhouse PC i built from scratch for cheap and can upgrade freely...and i'm not lookin' back!

Both

I use both. I'll be taking my laptop with me on an airplane this weekend. Can't do that with a PC. My laptop has a 2.2 Athlon chip, 40 gig HD, and 512 megs of memory. I can fit my laptop, my layla, my preamps and my mics/cables in a carry on bag, and take it anywhere.
Paul Garvin

Desktop.
Won't be switching to a laptop any time soon, even if I would start recording on location.
Proper preamps, cables, mic stands, AC power (you can't have it all draining your laptop battery or it's dead before the thing has finished booting), you need to add those to any rig. And a proper soundcard for laptops inevitably comes with some kind of breakout box.
Then a (rackmounted) PC + TFT screen don't add that much to carry around.
Add to that the advantages of a desktop compared to a laptop (cheaper, better upgrade paths etc.).

If you already have a laptop, sure, why not use it. But I wouldn't buy a laptop just like that to set up a recording rig.

I'd prefer a laptop. If you do only big recording gigs, it doesn't matter. But if you just go track a few tracks, for ex some sax lines or something, you don't need all that. Just take the laptop, and a small rack with the external soundcard and some pres. One micstand, a mic and cables and you're set...

I'm also gigging with my laptop. A rackmounted PC would be workable, but you can't just put that on top of your keyboard rig... And, having a pc rackmounted in a decent flightcase that would allow you to take it on the road, would cost you just as much or more as you'd pay for a laptop instead.

As for upgrading; if you have an external soundcard like the hamerfall, upgrading would be getting more A/D and micpres. Memory is more expensive, but it won't kill you. Another HD would have to be an external HD. Which would be more carrying around, but if you have a big HD fitted, you can record on that, leave the external drive in the studio and move it there when you get home. Not that much extra trouble.

If you're gonna upgrade your processor etc, you don't have any options with a laptop. But once you get a decent laptop, you don't need upgrades right? :confused:

A laptop is handy for more things btw. Just take it along and you can show stuff you've recorded to other people. Take it along and bounce files over the network, ... With the prices of laptops these days, it's really coming down to what you are planning to do with it. If you cannot think of a situation that requires moving our rig, go desktop. Otherwise, I'd consider a laptop right away.

I use both. I'll be taking my laptop with me on an airplane this weekend. Can't do that with a PC. My laptop has a 2.2 Athlon chip, 40 gig HD, and 512 megs of memory. I can fit my laptop, my layla, my preamps and my mics/cables in a carry on bag, and take it anywhere.
Paul Garvin

Paul I have the same setup, except mines a P4 40 gig. Right down to the layla...which I love, since I use mine with both the computers.

I took all mine on vacation over the summer. That was nice to be able to do.

-Kirstin

Both

I get at worst 6ms latency with the laptop.

The band uses the laptop to record our jams with an audiophile USB.

Then I take it home and transfer to PC then make some EQ cuts and what have you while listening on the monitors that are hooked up to my amp & PC.

Laptop is a great tool man, but the serious work I do on the PC.

Re: Both

tvaillan said:
Laptop is a great tool man, but the serious work I do on the PC.

Wtf? What is it that a PC has that a laptop doesn't have? A laptop IS a PC. And my laptop is more powerfull than the PCs my friends have. :rolleyes:

A laptop is a great tool, but your PC is no greater tool than any laptop. You make it sound like you are recording on one of those freaking palm-puter-thingies. Jee...

I have a P IV 2Ghz and 512Mb RAM laptop. It runs Sonar3 and FLstudio flawlessly and I have an firewire HD for the large audiofiles. The only downside is the HD in the laptop is 4200rpm, I wish I'd bought a 5400 one instead. Other than that, it runs as good as my desktop.

My desktop machine is an ever-evolving creature. Couldn't do that as easily with a laptop.

couldn't agree more......

dual to triple monitors

get to keep your generic soundcard along with your professional one

boot up from different HD, among other things

:D and of course this is all available for your preferred laptop with our recommended adapters... :)

Easy

tvaillan said:
It's funy, my mother looks at her PC and calls it her 'computer' . LOL. Mum , it's your "PC" I say , the computer is on the motherboard ... she looks at me and claims it's the same thing .. i say ..
:confused:

You know what PC stands for? :D

Your mother is more right than you think, dude.

Back