Laptop V Desktop ???

rxkevco

Quickie,,,,,,,
Is this laptop better as a daw than my desktop computer ???

Toshiba Equium A60,,,,,, Pentium 4-m, 3.4ghz, 60gbhdd (4500rpm), 768mb memory.

My desktop is p4, 1.4ghz, 120 & 40gb hdd (7200rpm), 1gig memory.

I was going to set up my desktop as a dual boot for cubase SL3, but this laptop has come up at a more than reasonable price (family freind), and i am wondering if i should get it and turn it into a complete dedicated daw, leaving my desktop for domestic internet etc,,,,

Would value any opinions.
cheers,,,kev.

portability

I'd go with the labtop, but then i'm not a pro.... Nice to tape a show, then burn cd's there or in the hotel, ...but beware, if u use line/in, headphones alot, they wear. Most are wired into the motherboard themselves. That's what happened to old toshiba sattelite. Was covered on xtended futureshop warrenty... Believe you can get usb input converter, I'd like to get one, if I can find one...usb ports stronger?? i think

When in doubt...TWIRL and smile, smile, smile

Hi Condor,
thanks for that.
I have cubase system 4, so i have the m14 interface which will plug straight into the usb port , so headphone socket wont be a problem.
I wont be doing any pro stuff, so that aint a problem either.

All i was thinking was,,, is this laptop going to be more stable and productive with cubase, than my domestic computer, which is better in some respects ,
(ie mem, bigger faster discdrives), or the laptop, which has a more modern chipset and treble the cpu power of my desktop.
cheers,,,kev.

I use a laptop, and it does very well. I have similar specs, not quite as good, but adequate. The main reason to go with a laptop is obviously the portability. If wasn't moving around all the time, I would have gone with a desktop. I think that they are more reliable, plus, you can't use a UAD card with a laptop. (without one of those expensive PCI card box thingies.)

$.02

Back