laptop with USB audio interface

traidma

Banned
Hey,
Anybody has any experience with laptops and USB interfaces? I've been planning to get a portable laptop-based system. Any ideas what might fit and work the best?

-Taavi :cool:

I'd opt for a FireWire based audio interface.
Actually, that's what I use. A MOTU 828mkII, but there are other less expensive interfaces.
USB just hasn't proved itself to be a reliable interface option. Maybe a USB 2.0, but the only one I've heard of is the Edirol UA-1000.

crankz1 said:
I'd opt for a FireWire based audio interface.
Actually, that's what I use. A MOTU 828mkII, but there are other less expensive interfaces.
USB just hasn't proved itself to be a reliable interface option. Maybe a USB 2.0, but the only one I've heard of is the Edirol UA-1000.

I agree with crankz1, I just had to slip in my pal Manning1 since he is a puter engr. :rolleyes:

i have used a tascam us-122 with a pv 1.7 ghz laptop. it worked well for me, mainly because i only did one or two tracks at a time. any more and i would've been sunk. i have had several wierd things happen with the USB though that i have not gotten with firewire.

yeam i was dumb enough not to get a laptop with FireWire... Anybody has experience with M-Audio's stuff? Seems pretty interesting..

crankz1 said:
Oh ..... just search under his name for hundreds of tips posted in the last year. :D

Well you know, the rest of us have no idea what we're talking about. The be all and end all is searching under that wonderful name. :eek:

Carter said:
I just had to slip in my pal Manning1 since he is a puter engr. :rolleyes:
For some reason the very thought of using "puter" as short for computer (which manning does all the time) bugs me. Like running fingernails down a chalkboard. I don't know one single real computer engineer who uses that term for anything.

puter is used all the time where i come from.
but you sweet people come up with a good solution all on your own.
i cant stand the stupidity and the sarcasm when i try and help people.
you lot are typical of some people who buy a pc and suddenly think after two years they are experts.

i'm outta here.

I never claimed to be a puter expert, but I do know my way around computers as I have built several, troubleshot, and try to have an open mind when other technologies are brought up.

Taavi-

minofifa is pretty dead on with the USB thing - and I've seen many say about the same thing. If you're doing a track or two at a time, it should suffice for you. I think the newer USB stuff will be USB 2.0 - which is rated at higher transfer rates. I'd certainly check into Firewire audio devices over USB.

Which m-audio device are you referring to? If you have a particular model, I'm sure you could search in the forums here and prob. come up with some useful opinions.

Yea, I was wondering about Omni Studio. Found plenty of material in the forum. Thanks for the suggestion.

Taavi :cool:

i had a tascam us-428 (USB audio) for 2 years and once i upgraded to XP sp1, i never had any trouble with it. now I've got the tascam fw-1884 (firewire), and it works great too. they are both made by frontier designs for tascam. i've also owned the frontier design wavecenter pci card. i sold both the wavecenter and 428 for the fw-1884.

actually Sile2001 I don't know many computer engineers, network engineers, or systems architect that even say the word computer.

most refer to the computer based on its purpose because the fact that it is a computer is is automatic.
rack
box
WAS (short for web app server)
server (usually a network server)
dbs (pronounced deebs... database server)

but never computer... too many syllables for very busy dudes. i said all that to say that using 'puter is highly likely in certain section of the country, but is too many syllables for the techies in DC.

traidma said:
yeam i was dumb enough not to get a laptop with FireWire... Anybody has experience with M-Audio's stuff? Seems pretty interesting..

I had the M-Audio Transit for like a week and it sucked. Just unreliable. Some cracks/pops on my PC, on my laptop (for which I bought the Transit) it flat out sucked, too many issues to get anything done.

traidma said:
yeam i was dumb enough not to get a laptop with FireWire...

So long as your laptop has a PCMCIA CardBus slot, you can always get an adapter. I would recommend one with the Texas Instruments chipset, like this one.

Back