laptop setup with Mbox/Pro Tools and Reason

hiphopsupamix

hey guys,

I'm recommending a friend of mine to get a laptop with an Mbox/Pro Tools and Reason as she wants to get into music production and recording...

does anyone have some input iinto anything she should know before she gets it like additional things to get, things to be wary off etc.?

thanks!

all help is appreciated :)

An Mbox has 2 analog inputs right?

If your friend might need more inputs, consider other firewire cards like the firepod

dmc777 said:
Firepod isn't compatible with pro tools is it?

No, but she could get the M-powered Pro Tools and a Delta 1010 soundcard. that is if she wants to run Pro Tools, You coul get Cubase SE (higher track count that Pro tools LE) and the delta 1010 (more I/O's than the M-Box) for less than the M-Box or the Firepod.... That would be a better choice I would say IMHO.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you need a more powerfull pc for that and what about pre's. I'm just wondering b/c I'm kinda looking to move up. Nice reputatation!

dmc777 said:
Wouldn't you need a more powerfull pc for that and what about pre's. I'm just wondering b/c I'm kinda looking to move up. Nice reputatation!

I forgot that she was going to be using a laptop as sonnylarson pointed out,

By the way you can use the 1010 with a laptop you just have to get one of those PCI card case adapter things.. I forget what they are called but they are not cheap. :D

Yes I would go with M-Audios firewire interface (pres included) and Cubase SE instead of Pro-Tools for the obvious reasons.. I sold my 002R just because of that... :D

Carter said:
I forgot that she was going to be using a laptop as sonnylarson pointed out,

By the way you can use the 1010 with a laptop you just have to get one of those PCI card case adapter things.. I forget what they are called but they are not cheap. :D

Yes I would go with M-Audios firewire interface (pres included) and Cubase SE instead of Pro-Tools for the obvious reasons.. I sold my 002R just because of that... :D

What obvious reasons? I would think since Pro Tools being the industry standard that you would want to choose it and it comes with a few of the MAudio box's now doesn't it? Like I said, I'm learning myself.

dmc777 said:
I would think since Pro Tools being the industry standard that you would want to choose it and it comes with a few of the MAudio box's now doesn't it?

be careful now, just because something is considered an industry standard does not mean it's right for everyone....especially home users. What might be right for a million dollar studio with a 96 channel SSL and racks and racks of outboard gear, may not be something that's needed for the average joe wanting to record some guitar riffs in his bedroom. Why does he need an industry standard? Unless he constantly is taking sessions back and forth from home to the million dollar studio, he shouldn't care.

there are plenty of other options out there for people to use. many people find Pro Tools LE restricting in some ways, so they choose not to use it. I think Carter's suggestions will work fine for our poster

Well I guess I was speaking for myself. I'm hoping this to be part of my career and knowing how to use pro tools would help in case I tried to get a job somewhere.

bennychico11 said:
be careful now, just because something is considered an industry standard does not mean it's right for everyone....especially home users. What might be right for a million dollar studio with a 96 channel SSL and racks and racks of outboard gear, may not be something that's needed for the average joe wanting to record some guitar riffs in his bedroom. Why does he need an industry standard? Unless he constantly is taking sessions back and forth from home to the million dollar studio, he shouldn't care.

there are plenty of other options out there for people to use. many people find Pro Tools LE restricting in some ways, so they choose not to use it. I think Carter's suggestions will work fine for our poster

Damn I thought you were going to blast me out of the water Benny :D

Dont get me wrong I like Pro Tools and thats what I started out using in the early 90's, But as my track count went up so did my needs!!!! one day Ill be able to afford that Pro-Tool HD? whatever it may be by then, set-up. But I believe you should get your feet wet and learn a few things before spending a shit load on equipment and software that will get you frustrated and make you just sell all of your stuff and quit being creative!

My 2 cents :D

Carter said:
Damn I thought you were going to blast me out of the water Benny :D

Dont get me wrong I like Pro Tools and thats what I started out using in the early 90's, But as my track count went up so did my needs!!!! one day Ill be able to afford that Pro-Tool HD? whatever it may be by then, set-up. But I believe you should get your feet wet and learn a few things before spending a shit load on equipment and software that will get you frustrated and make you just sell all of your stuff and quit being creative!

My 2 cents :D

lol
nah, i'm not one to push Pro Tools on people. Only way I'd do that is if Digi started giving me free stuff (and I mean some free EXPENSIVE stuff...none of that t-shirt crap). Then you can bet your ass I'd be spamming this board full of Digi propaganda. :D
I hate seeing people buy equipment and not realize what they are getting and then get frustrated, sell their gear, and go on a bashing spree. Money sucks ass and Pro Tools can be too expensive for some people...especially if they are just starting out, like Carter said. I learned on Pro Tools, use it everyday at work, use it at home, I love it's features and design, etc....so I know it's right for me.
:cool:

bennychico11 said:
lol
nah, i'm not one to push Pro Tools on people. Only way I'd do that is if Digi started giving me free stuff (and I mean some free EXPENSIVE stuff...none of that t-shirt crap). Then you can bet your ass I'd be spamming this board full of Digi propaganda. :D
I hate seeing people buy equipment and not realize what they are getting and then get frustrated, sell their gear, and go on a bashing spree. Money sucks ass and Pro Tools can be too expensive for some people...especially if they are just starting out, like Carter said. I learned on Pro Tools, use it everyday at work, use it at home, I love it's features and design, etc....so I know it's right for me.
:cool:

Sweet!!!!!!!!! :D Im glad we can see eye to eye on this topic..... Like I said I will get me a HD rig one day and when that comes I will stiil keep my Cubase, It is a powerfull program too!!!! Well by then it will be Nuendo!!! :D

Back