Laptop requirements for mixing/editing only?

Evian

Hi there,

I'm used to recording songs on my Boss micro BR (4 track) and using Audacity to do some basic editing. I now want to upgrade to an 8-track recorder and then edit - and possibly mix - on a laptop, using either Audacity or other software - as yet undecided. I'm wondering what kind of processing speed/memory I would need for this as I'm looking to buy a new laptop too - i.e, if I'm not actually recording on it, would it need to have as fast/as large a memory or would a lower end spec suffice? Any suggestions re the best 8 track also welcome.

Thanks!

Mixing and mix down really doesn't require much computing. I do 16 tracks on a very low end computer. But it is just that, rough mixing and mix down. Very little processing. The plugins and any digital instruments are what really eat the CPU. Compression and Eq is not so bad on a system, but reverb, amp sims, drum sims, effects, vocal processing, that start to eat at the system.

With all of that, I have an older AMD computer that is my master music computer. 8 Gigs RAM, 6 Core CPU, SSD HD, nothing special and for the most part, I have few issues with it. But that is all it does, music recording and mixing.

i7 chip, 8 gigs, good MB, 7200 HD (for best performance) and your OS optimized for recording should take care of you for 99% of your recording needs. You may have to do some resource management (like track freezing), but usually not and issue.

Oh great. I have a 4GM RAM laptop and no intention of buying a new one any time soon. :( Not that I'm looking to do amazing or advanced mixing per se, but the having a lower ceiling makes me nervous........

Oh great. I have a 4GM RAM laptop and no intention of buying a new one any time soon. :( Not that I'm looking to do amazing or advanced mixing per se, but the having a lower ceiling makes me nervous........

I don't think you will have any issues. You may have to be good at resource management, learn some tricks, like freezing, using buss routing so you can use effects for multi tracks. You will probably be fine for most of your needs without doing anything special.

Pretty sure you'll be fine. Check out the stats of my Macbook in my sig. I just "upgraded" to a used 2010 Mac Mini, but I've used that laptop for quite a few recording projects and it's been fine for me. Only has 4GB of RAM in it too,

If you don't need super speed for plugins you could trade that for screen size. I know my eyes are 70 now and yours probably better but laptop screens are a limit. Not often thought of but a domestic FSTelly makes an excellent monitor. I run a desktop out to my living room 32" Sony Bravia. Luxury! Not pin sharp enough for the gamers perhaps but SO much better for DAWs. You can pickup a basic 22" FST from a Cash Converter shop very cheaply (we have a Heart Foundation charity shop that is even cheaper!) Most modern lappies have HDMI but then most FSTs have VGA?

Trackpads are also a PITA for me I would get a wireless mouse.

Dave.

Back