Laptop recording options

emomusician

I just bought a laptop..

I want to replace my desktop with it for recording, since I need to be able to move. It does not have a firewire port, but I can get a firewire card. I'm gonna be recording acoustic stuff, with vocals, maybe a piano and sequenced drums thrown in. I may record some band demos, but I will just premix drums through a mixer I have. What options do I have? I'm looking to trade a practically new Delta 66 with breakout box, for something that sounds as good that will work with my laptop.

Have a look at the presonus firewire interfaces. They all come with preamps
Inspire $200
Firebox $300
Firepod $500

Anything MOTU is excelllent too. (I've been using an 828mkII for a year and love it.)
The 8Pre is a steal at $550 for 8 inputs. Motu's stuff is stackable too for more inputs.

Be sure to get an external firewire drive to record to also. I use a great Glyph GT050 (dead silent and very very fast) but I also use a Seagate USB2/Firewire drive for video editing although it's much noisier.

Recently moved from desktop PC and EMU 1820 to a MacBook and Firebox. It's great...I can just unplug the AC adapter and go down to my drums and record without turning the computer off.

I'd recommend the Firebox...2 preamps means that you can do all your stuff without having to screw around with external boxes. And the pres sound relatively clean. You can also run in a line input from the back and SPDIF in for a total of 6 inputs. They go used for close to their new price, which tells me it's a quality unit.

do u record drums with your firebox?

if so, how do u go about it? The firebox was looking really good before I posted.. now it looks even better

Back