Laptop recording issue

Leffield

Please assist:

My normal process for audio editing/sample chopping is to pop the CD into my computer, load up MediaPlayer, open Sound Recorder and SoundForge. As Media player plays the CD, I capture the segment I need in analogue, via Sound Recorder and save it as a wav file. For the finer editing, I open the file in SoundForge and work it over. This is how I've been doing work on my desktop computer, running XP Home. On my new IBM Thinkpad running XP Pro, I am unable to access more than one application at a time using audio (ie: when running a CD in Media Player, Sound Recorder won't snatch the audio like it does on my home computer). I've double checked all audio properties and I can't figure out what the issue is. I am wondering if it could be the Soundcard, or if it's possible that something more basic in the computer's hardware is causing the issue??

(I know I can import the whole CD track into my audio editor but would much prefer the method I described above. Any help is much appreciated)

Thank you,

EWT

Some soundcards don't like to have multiple applications accessing the hardware at the same time. Obviously, your laptop's built-in soundcard is one of these and you will have to change your workflow (no, there is no cure.)

Why don't you just have Soundforge open the tracks on the CD directly????? You're going through steps you don't have to take...

TimOBrien said:
Some soundcards don't like to have multiple applications accessing the hardware at the same time. Obviously, your laptop's built-in soundcard is one of these and you will have to change your workflow (no, there is no cure.)

Why don't you just have Soundforge open the tracks on the CD directly????? You're going through steps you don't have to take...

Tim,

I'm going to end up replace the soundcard anyway...will the upgraded soundcard potentially solve this issue? And I understand I could import the entire track into the audio editor...that's been my workaround and probably how I will proceed. Force of habit, I suppose.

Back