laptop with Presonus Firestudio

dastrick

huh???
Yeah, I know...another laptop question...........:spank:.........but anywhooo...

I'm in the market for a laptop...either used or new. I'll be using it with a Presonus Firestudio and a Digimax FS.

I would like some suggestions from people who use their laptops with the Presonus Studio drivers with no issues. I'll be recording up to 18 tracks @ 24/44.1.

Also if you use a firewire card, which one do you use?

Thanks,:D:D:D

D

Mac! (OK Sorry)

If not check out someone like ADK pro audio see if you can find something similar specced to what they offer in a laptop because they work real hard to find good ones that are broadly compatible with a lot of outboard stuff.

Especially for FW, PC laptops can be tough

I would love to get an ADK, but I just can't afford it. If I could find a used one, that would be good.

The main thing I'm worried about is the Firewire chipset.

I have a Pioneer laptop that I use in conjunction with my PC. I hook up my Firepod to both, and both have Via firewire chipsets.

In both cases, the Firepod installed quickly and cleanly . . . no fuss . . . and works as intended.

I concede that I do get annoying computer noises coming through the speakers when I use the laptop. That, I believe, is a result of a four-pin to six-pin firewire cable and the laptop's power supply (it is perfectly quiet when running off its battery), and is not a function of the chipset.

I have heard many times the recommendation of using TI chipsets, and maybe it is the case with assorted interfaces. For me, with the Presonus Firepod, it has not been an issue.

I concede that I do get annoying computer noises coming through the speakers when I use the laptop. That, I believe, is a result of a four-pin to six-pin firewire cable and the laptop's power supply (it is perfectly quiet when running off its battery), and is not a function of the chipset.

That usually means that they didn't properly damp the noise generated by the CPU/GPU on the ground and you're hooking the Presonus up to a grounded set of speakers. Try grounding the Presonus.

That usually means that they didn't properly damp the noise generated by the CPU/GPU on the ground and you're hooking the Presonus up to a grounded set of speakers. Try grounding the Presonus.

Thanks for the tip!

I shall do some experimentation.

Interestingly:

Firepod -> Laptop = computer noise
Firepod -> PC number 1 = a little computer noise
Firepod -> PC number 2= blissful silence

MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4G ram, firewire 400 and 800, www.gainsaver.com, $782, with a 3 year warranty for extra $150! Can't beat it.

Mine's runnin a firewire PreSonus Inspire, and beautifully I might add, along with my Oxygen 61 midi controller.

Sorry, just read your 'don't say Macs' comment. Good luck with that!

I'm not really against Mac, but they're sooo overpriced. And I know that there are good PCs out there that work great. I just need to find one. :D

Back