Laptop & Phantom Power

The "9 o'clock position" on the gain knob on the Scarlett interface you've provided a picture for is barely on, unless they do clocks differently wherever you are. The zero line starts at 7.30.

You need to get a bit more scientific with your descriptions here. "The waveform is small" is not useful. So what? "Big", whatever that means in your head, isn't necessarily good.

You've provided a picture of two waveforms.... nice... but what are they? Are they the same thing recorded twice? Different things? What' making the noise. Is one with the Cloudlifter, one without?

And don't say they're "big" and "small" tell us what level they're actually peaking at - in db - from your DAW.

If, for instance, that left hand waveform actually peaked at -0.2 db (I'm not familiar with this software so I'm assuming that number to the right is that peak level) then it's probably 10db too hot anyway, according to most people around here.

Stop using visual descipters and start using numbers.

My most likely theory so far is that there is actually no real problem apart from you not having much of a clue about what you're doing - ie. USER ERROR. Happy to be proven otherwise.

There's also the question of why you're using a Cloudlifter with that dynamic mic in the first place. It shouldn't really need additional gain.

For instance..
This is the resultant "waveform" and meter display of an internally generated 1kHz tone at -18dBfS.

Dave. (BTW, still don't know why I can't attach 2MEG .WAV?)

Attachments

• waveform and meter neg 18 1k .bmp
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
Back