KVM extensions........?

I'm lazy today so I'm just going to ask.

I'm looking for a Keyboard/Video/Mouse box and long cables. I need to move about 20 to 30'. I'm assuming that I need some kind of amplifer. I'm not necessarily looking for a switch, but that would work.

I need to take the monitor, keyboard, and mouse into various locations around the house.

If you're doing something like this and it's working, then could you shoot me a brand/model? Thanks!

Slackmaster 2000

Hmmm, if you don't need to split or switch the signal then I see no reason to involve a KVM switch. There are amplifiers and distribution amps available from Extron and Inline but for 20-30 feet I think you'd be just fine using longer cables...I don't think an amplifier would be necessary until past the 50 foot range. The best long/custom cables I've heard of are from http://www.bettercables.com/. You probably don't want to plunk down $200 for a monitor cable though, so I would just look for something on eBay or an online computer retailer. One thing to keep in mind: the fewer connections, the better. So if your monitor has an actual DB15 connector as opposed to the built-in cable, you'd be better off buying one long cable as opposed to using your current cable plus an extension. Just make sure whatever you get is nice and thick and has the RF filter magnets at each end.

If you get ambitious you could actually make your own long cables, and probably get good or better results than most pre-made cables. Any 5 strands of 75 ohm coax should work, but check this stuff out:

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/product.CFM?BaseItem=V3-3C

Solder up the connectors and you're set. The Canare will probably put to shame anything you could buy short of the BetterCables stuff (which I hear uses Canare anyway).

Thanks for the link man...and yeah I figured it would be kind of expensive.

The reason I mentioned an amplifier is that people around here have tried the extension cable thing in the past, and for a few it worked, and for a few it didn't. I dunno, since I'd have to buy cables anyhow, I might as well buy them first and try em out.

One benefit to a switch would be that I wouldn't have to reach around to the back of the machine to plug in various cables...since I would only be using the long cables for recording. Don't know if it's worth it though.

Slackmaster 2000

Back