KPK KNS-6400 Phones Fail?

kr236rk

Hi,

Got these phones couple of years ago as serious~ish studio phones (with good bass response). Had no trouble with them at all - pretty all round excellent.

KNS 6400 Studio Headphones KRK SYSTEMS

Other day I turned my DAW on and put the phones on to listen to a track: nothing. Spent about half an hour checking all the plugs and wires and doing restarts. Suddenly realised it was the phones, they were dead.

These phones come with a 1/4" jack unscrewing down to a mini jack, and I mostly use gear which has mini phones sockets. After fiddling with the jack a few times I discovered that when the jack was slightly out of the socket there was sound, albeit incomplete sound. So you can still use the phones but not for anything serious - bit of waste :-|

These phones have never done this on me before, and I have been using them consistently for in-depth recording projects. Any clues please?

Thanks,

Ric

Have you tried a different 1/4 to 1/8 adapter? Can you check the solder connections at the tip?
Is the sound correct and just on one side when you pull it out a bit?

Wait, no. Those have a detachable cable. See if you can get a replacement cable. That would be much cheaper than a replacement set of cans.

Could be you just have to screw it in a few times to clean off the connection between 1/8 and 1/4.

Tried everything - swapped all the jacks around and cleaned them with contact fluid. Yes, when sound came through it was on one side. Detachable cable? Huh! That's it! All my cables end up wrapped round the legs of my studio chair at some stage in the proceedings - must have tugged the mini jack half out at the phones end! :-o Phones back to A1 status!! :)

Many thanks!!

It's a Hitchhikers' Guide reference...the doors on the ship are programmed to be happy when they do what they're designed to do.

Back