KISS-Recording cassettes to digital audio files

bvalrey

Help? I'm brand new at this recording business and I just want to record my "oldies" cassettes to my hard drive using Easy CD Creator 4 Deluxe software. I have a tape/cassette player and the cables that came with my software. My computer is a HP with a 9 gig. hard drive, 96MB RAM, 466mhz. processor and a CD Writer Plus burner. Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions how to set things up?

Well, first you need to connect the line out of the tape deck to an amp (unless it has one built in, and I hope it doesn't) then connect the output of the amp (line out) into the line-in of your soundcard (I assume you have a soundcard?) You may need a couple of jack adaptors to do this. Next make sure that your soundcard is set up to receive from the line-in (in windows audio properties thingy).

Now you need some new software to record digital audio - you can probably get something for free from hitsquad.com. Is it possible to record in EASY CD? I have it, and I can't say I know (I'll have a look later) but you're probably beeter of with a piece of dedicated software with editing capabilities.

Now record the cassette into your new software. Chop up the resulting waveform into individual tracks. Save them all as 16bit 44.1 KHz .wav files. Load them into EASY CD. Re-order them. Click record and I suggest you activate 'write at once' or whatever it's called to avoid getting the annoying two second gap between tracks.

Um. That's it! Enjoy.

Matt

Actually, you can bypass the amp altogether. Use a 1/8" stereo plug to 2 1/4" RCA plugs. RCA's from your tape deck outputs, 1/8" into the line in of your soundcard. Then record with your recording software (goldwave, cool edit pro etc, do a search).

Back