Keyboard Controller into External Audio interface

keifkay

Hello all. I am still trying to get an idea of how this set up works. Here is my situation:

I just got a new laptop. I want to record with Hollywood strings via Sonar. I will need an external USB audio interface (Because the laptop onboard sound isn't very good). And I need a keyboard controller as well.

My question is about the keyboard controller connection to the external audio interface. Shouldn't the controller hook up directly to the external audio interface?

I ask this because I see many USB keyboard controllers. With my limited knowledge on the subject, I don't see how hooking up a USB keyboard controller to the laptop and a hooking up a USB external audio interface to the laptop would make them interact with each other. I assumed that the keyboard needs to go through the external audio interface.

I was hoping someone could elaborate on this. Thanks in advance!

The USB Keyboard is your MIDI input device. The USB audio interface is your audio input and output device.

Okay, see then. So they don't have to go through each other. One handles the IN and the other handles the OUT. That makes sense.

Thank you for the info!

Back