K7S5A for the delta massive

CounterToAttack

Good Evening etc etc

I have finally returned with everything put into place and since some people were abit curious about this board, namely JPS, i thought id share with you all what i think.

This is what im running

Delta 66 + Omni i/o (omni studio)
1.2ghz Athlon thunderbird
288mb Ram
ESC K7S5A motherboard with SiS 735 chipset

..This is namely for those people thinking about getting the delta series stuff to record on. I searched frantically to find a motherboard which stayed away from the VIA chipset which has conflicts with the hardware. Getting an athlon left little choice for motherboards until i found the 'ESC K7S5A' this has namely a SiS 735 chipset and had got fantastic reviews. check it all out at http://www.ecs.com.tw/products/k7s5a.htm

I have had not 1 single problem with this board, its solid as a really solid thing thats just been declared really solid by the solid stuff association. I finally put my delta in 3 days ago and had a very small problem of IRQ's (IRQ was shared by about 10 things including my graphics card, modem and delta 66 - disabling onboard sound, and unused com ports solved this problem as everything is now seperate). Since then i have not had any crashes, any pops, any clicks, any latency problems, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I ran logic delta at 24/96 and it had no problems coping with the tracks. I have not tested its limits yet, but i was able to get 4 seperate tracks together in no time and with no problems.

Just to point out the main things

I HAVE HAD 'NO' PROBLEMS

..so my advice, If your going for the omni studio and are worried about the VIA chipset, get a K7S5A. its so sweeeeet (just check out the reviews and product page above) and thats not the only thing the board is relatively inexpensive which gives you left over cash to stock up on ram or get a faster processor, or if your a student like i am to buy cheap vodka and take aways

Hope this helps alot of people and saves them time running about in circles, I spent ages going through deciding everything and i think ive made the right decision.

by the way.. The Omni Studio is swwwwwwweeeeeet too

Richard

Hi,
I am also one fo the legions using the Omni Studio and I have an ABIT KT7A RAID mobo with an IBM 7200 harddrive. This board does have the VIA chipset but I have the latest mobo and VIA driver and to be honest and I havent had a single problem with the board.

The only thing I would say is that unfortunately I had to take out my beloved TV card as it wasnt playing nicely with anything else. I wish I knoew how to manually assign IRQ as ME kept setting tyhe TVV card to share it IRQ with the "IRQ for PCI Steering" which was a major problem. I tried putting the card into different slots etc but unfortunately it made absolutely no difference - no matter what ORQ they were on ME always assigned the two together.

I point out though that this is not a mobo problem so the Abit KT7A RAID seems fine also...

Glad to see you got your board up and running. It is not an easy thing to get audio apps and audio hardware running well on a new chipset. So it looks like SIS has done a pretty good job in putting this chipset together. Congrats! Looks like you are a true trailblazer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the new VIA chipsets (in the past year or so) are OK. I think they've corrected the problems.

gnarled, I think you are pretty much correct. Speaking from my own experience, I have a GA-7DX 1.2 Athlon that works great with Gigastudio and Audiophile 24/96. I also run the Digi 001 on this board along with Sound Blaster Value. Yes, I have three soundcards installed on one computer and they all run fine with no problems, and the mobo has a AMD760/VIA686B chipset.

I also read the Digidesign Users Conference and Digi now supports the VIA 133a chipset, while previously they supported only Intel chipsets. Early Via KT266 chipsets didn't work on the Digi 001, but recently there have been posts where both the revised Via KT266 (in a Soyo Dragon mobo) and Via KT266a (in a Shuttle mobo) are working with the Digi 001. So VIA has certainly improved their batting average. It was hardly a year ago when almost nothing would work with Via chipsets.

On the other hand, as of recently, the Ali Magik chipset still does not work with the Digi 001.

Back