Just making sure this will work (Mac laptop)

FYI, the Mac Mini is WAY quieter than the G5 iMac. We have one (iMac) at work, and it's a leaf blower. Nice computer, but a leaf blower. Not ideal for audio, IMO.

In contrast, the Mini even with the fan running seemed quite quiet. I know, the G5's faster, but eh.....I want silence.

Polaris20 said:
FYI, the Mac Mini is WAY quieter than the G5 iMac. We have one (iMac) at work, and it's a leaf blower. Nice computer, but a leaf blower. Not ideal for audio, IMO.

In contrast, the Mini even with the fan running seemed quite quiet. I know, the G5's faster, but eh.....I want silence.

I have two imac G5s and they are both fairly quiet. The early models apparently had some fan design issues according to what I've see posted on the net. But as far as I can tell, these problems have been resolved. Of course, it's all a matter of perspective. If you are running soft synths and electronic instruments, small amounts of ambient room noise are not a big deal. I also doubt that it would affect something like an SM57 on an amp cabinet. On the other hand, if you are doing voiceover work with a LDC mic sitting close to the computer, you will pick up some noise. The question is at what level and what are the consequences.

Having said that, It's worth keeping in mind that the computer noise (at least on the two G5s I own) is affected by the programs you are running at what you are doing in each application. My office machine, for example, makes more noise if I'm using an eraser tool in Photoshop to edit a large PSD file. The G5 in my recording room is new, so I haven't sorted out which operations tend to produce more noise. But, if I recall correctly, the noise is louder during playback than recording.

Ideally, the computer should not be in the same room that you're using to record. Of course, not everyone can have a separate room or closet for their machine. You can also build or purchase an enclosure. With the Mac Mini, building and enclose seems like a simple process. I'm not sure about the imac G5, since the monitor and cptu are all in one case.

Polaris20: If we keep talking about these kind of issues someone is going to come to the conclusion that the ideal Mac for audio probably doesn't exist! The Mini's drive are too slow, the imac makes too much noise and lacks open card slots, and the dual G5 towers (which are probably noisier than the imac) are too damned expensive!

dwillis45 said:
I have two imac G5s and they are both fairly quiet. The early models apparently had some fan design issues according to what I've see posted on the net. But as far as I can tell, these problems have been resolved. Of course, it's all a matter of perspective. If you are running soft synths and electronic instruments, small amounts of ambient room noise are not a big deal. I also doubt that it would affect something like an SM57 on an amp cabinet. On the other hand, if you are doing voiceover work with a LDC mic sitting close to the computer, you will pick up some noise. The question is at what level and what are the consequences.

Having said that, It's worth keeping in mind that the computer noise (at least on the two G5s I own) is affected by the programs you are running at what you are doing in each application. My office machine, for example, makes more noise if I'm using an eraser tool in Photoshop to edit a large PSD file. The G5 in my recording room is new, so I haven't sorted out which operations tend to produce more noise. But, if I recall correctly, the noise is louder during playback than recording.

Ideally, the computer should not be in the same room that you're using to record. Of course, not everyone can have a separate room or closet for their machine. You can also build or purchase an enclosure. With the Mac Mini, building and enclose seems like a simple process. I'm not sure about the imac G5, since the monitor and cptu are all in one case.

Polaris20: If we keep talking about these kind of issues someone is going to come to the conclusion that the ideal Mac for audio probably doesn't exist! The Mini's drive are too slow, the imac makes too much noise and lacks open card slots, and the dual G5 towers (which are probably noisier than the imac) are too damned expensive!

Well no, if they sorted out the noise issues (the iMac I am speaking of is first gen) then good deal, I stand corrected. It still is a fantastic computer, for sure.

The Mini has it's limitations, but with a FW HD, (and imo bluetooth keyboard and mouse) it's a really cool little box that can be definitely worked with. Plus it's quite portable for a "desktop" computer. A Pelican case and a 10" LCD, and you're on the road.

Of course the G5s are expensive, but you get what you pay for. They are quite fast.

Well, I got set back a bit this weekend. My wife's cat had a couple hundred dollars worth of treatment at the vet. I actually hadn't looked into the iMac G5's too much. How heavy are those things. I don't need a ton of portability. I just would like to be able to move between 2 places once a week or so.
Dwillis45, thanks for the feedback on the site. So I normally use a Behringer B1 as our room mic when we make those ghetto recordings. But this past week, we aimed a Sennheiser e835 at the ceiling and it sounded ten times better.

Congratulations on the Mac switch (or attempt to)!

Earlier this year, I purchased my current G4 with a 350mhz G4 and 128 MB of RAM in OS 10.3.8. With this machine and my Delta 1010LT, I was able to record 7 tracks of audio into Cubase SX to the stock 10GB disk. I don't even know the speed of the drive, but it all went quite well and I never really had any problems with it. Once I added a bunch of overdubs and plugins, things started to slow down, but it still worked!

More recently, I have upgraded a bunch of major components, including the RAM, HD, and processor, as you can see in my sig, and things run even better!

So, the point of all this is, if I could do all that with such a meager system before, you should have no trouble with the mini.

In fact, I purchased my G4 right before they launched the mini -- perhaps I should have waited, as I've put a lot of money into this machine! At least it's easily expandable.

pdadda said:
I actually hadn't looked into the iMac G5's too much. How heavy are those things. I don't need a ton of portability. I just would like to be able to move between 2 places once a week or so.

According to Apple, the imac G5 weighs 18.5 pounds. In comes in a box about the size and shape of a small suitcase. If you go that direction, keep the box and the two foam inserts and, viola, you are ready to go--keyboard and all.

Back