Just looking for a little direction.

rg2570

Hi all. Im just looking for the next direction i should head with little home studio. Just wanting to know what others think it needs to really give a good quality recording.

Heres what ive got so far....

athlon 3000XP
1 gig pc3200 ram
160 gig hd
M-Audio Delta 66 with breakout box,
Sony DVD +-DL writer

Need some advice when it comes to monitors, speakers, mixers, mics etc...

thanks all

rg2570

almost forgot....im running vegas 4.0 and steinbergs wavelab....i will be recording mostly rock type music so i guess vocals, guitar, bass, and maybe a keyboard.....budgets not to tight, but i dont want to go overbord...

rg2570

Well I can throw some suggestions out there. For my post I will assume that you have somewhat of a budget:

You will need some good mics and pres first. Definitely get some Shure SM 57's (They cover a lot of bases). I've heard great things about the Studio Projects B1 ( and even better things about the C1. I use MXL 993's as overheads and they're pretty good, but I've also heard good things about MXL 603s and even better about Studio projects C4's. Kick drum mic, go with Shure Beta 52 or AKG D112 (Mic toms and snare with SM 57's). As far as preamps, if you're budget minded somewhat, go with a couple of M-Audio DMP3's. If you can swing it, maybe an FMR Audio-RNP (Really Nice Preamp).

For Monitors, I'm Using M-audio BX8's, and have been really happy with them, but many on here will make tons of suggestions there. I also use Sony MDR 7506 Headphones when doing tracking sessions and monitoring inputs.

I have a Behringer Mixer, but I don't really use that much, and depending on what you'll be doing, you may or may not need a mixer.

Good cables is a must. Try to stick with Mogami. They're pricey, but worth it for sure for quality and longevity. Well, that's my 2 cents for now. Good luck.

Back