Its Time For Me To Get My DAW !!!!!

So I called the Apple Store today and asked about the MacBook Pro and they said that they can only put up to 8gb of ram in it at the store but there's a site online called Macsales.net that sells 16gb of ram in a diy kit. I asked if it would void my warranty and she said no. Not to sure on that thou. I was looking on the site and I can get a 480gb SSD for $199. So I'm curious now about just buying the base MacBook Pro with the upped processor and than ordering the ram and hard drive and get it installed. It would be cheaper and better but I do not know of the quality of there products. Has anyone ever dealt with mac sales.net???

i am a Sonar user on PC ...but ...if you go the MAC direction i would suggest looking into Apple Logic for your DAW... stuff i have heard using Apple logic is Amazing... all DAW are a means to an end and everyone has their preference which makes no one right or wrong, just personal preference. If i was on a MAC i would be using Apple Logic...as far as drives and storage opt to keep your projects on an external drive of some sort...you wont be sorry if you ever crash

Get a PC tower, i7 (3rd gen minimum). 16GB Ram, USB3 w/ USB2 as well... SSD for OS, SSD for song creation ,,, HDD 7200rpm minimum storage
Grab Studio One 3 Pro, you won't need 3rd party plugins, but they work just as well...
You'll avoid bottlenecks, avoid laptop limitations, and be a little future proofed,,,
You won't need another computer later and you'll never look back with Studio One 3 Pro

Thanks for all the help guys. I've looked at PC and Mac options and I wish I had a job that was more grounded because I'd just get a desktop and things would be cheaper and more powerful but unfortunately a big part of my life is in the road so I went with portability.

Just ordered the MacBook Pro 2.9ghz i7 with 256gb SSD and 16gb ram.

I feel this was my best bet for what my situation. Lots of power so it's future proofed, portable, and when I'm home I can hook it up to my monitor and not be limited to a 13" screen.

All in all, I don't think that you'll be dissatisfied with that choice at all. Have fun!

I can get the retina model for about $100 cheaper with the same specs minus the 2.9ghz processor. I still haven't paid for the item there just ordering it in for to have it there. Hopefully I made the right choice. I would much rather have the Retina display but I really don't like the idea of not being able to replace drives or ram . If something breaks I like to know I at least have the option of replacing a part as opposed to a $2000 computer.

Back