Issue with Monitors

Loxley

Hey all,

I have a NHT Pro A-10 series of powered monitors. I've had a periodic issue that seems more and more present where my right monitor almost produces no sound at all. One thing that used to "wake" it up is just simply blasting the monitors as loud as possible and then things sometimes sound sporadically fizzy afterwards, but none of this is certainly sustainable or very workable and now that trick doesn't even seem to work. I tried crossing the channels and swapping cables, but no luck - sounds like my right monitor may be the trouble. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

It's a poor connection. It sounds like a dirty switching jack, or cold solder. But since it seems to be only the one monitor, you may just want to take it in to a tech to get it looked at. It's probably something fairly easy. The only 'hard' thing will be finding the problem.

Also check the cable connections and any level control upstream of the monitors. With everything turned off work the connectors in and out a few times to scrape the corrosion off the contacts. Move the level control through its full range of motion several times to clean any buildup off the wiper and resistance element.

Swap the monitors and see if the problem follows that monitor to the left or if it stays on the right side. That can help you prove that it is indeed that monitor or if it is a signal issue with your amp or whatever is feeding them.

Back