Issue With Mic Input using iTrack Solo With Laptop

ScottyDont

So here's the story...I bought the Focusrite iTrack Solo as my I/O to be used either with the iPad (with GarageBand) or the laptop (with Ableton Live or Adobe Audition).

The guitar and vocals sound great with the iPad, which, though limited in capability, does a pretty good job of capturing audio. GarageBand is a nifty little app for basic recording and getting ideas down.

The laptop is a different story. The guitar sounds good when recording with Audition (haven't really used Ableton Live for guitar yet), probably better than the iPad results. But the vocals are terribly distorted, even with the levels set very low. Nothing but pops and crackles with very little real sound at all. The volume isn't high, but it almost sounds like I've overdriven a pre-amp or something. I've tried both recording applications and got the same results with my MXL V250 as well as my Shure SM58. Switching the phantom power off with the MXL essentially just turns the mic off, no static or sound input at all.

Levels look fine on both the iTrack as well as the software. Like I said, it all sounds fine through the iPad (which uses a proprietary input rather than the laptop's USB) so I think I can rule out any hardware issues outside of the box itself. Latency is a serious issue with Ableton but not with Audition, if that means anything.

I'd really like to use the laptop (which is a Lenovo T61 with 4GB RAM running Windows 8) if possible, due to the greater flexibility allowed with Audition (and its Loopology add-in). I suppose I can look into recording tracks on the iPad and exporting them to the laptop, not sure if that's possible. I guess the next step is to move the whole setup upstairs and try it with the (much more modern and powerful) Windows 8 desktop in the computer room, but I was really hoping not to have to record on the main floor of the house due to background noise and the fact that the room is already packed with stuff.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

If the guitar records good but the mic sounds bad on the laptop, and they both sound good on the iPad then I would suspect that the interface is not getting sufficient current through the laptop's USB to for the phantom power to work correctly. Do you have a dynamic mic you can try?

[Edit] Trying the other computer is a good idea. A desktop is more likely to properly power the USB.

I could try the docking station USB, that might make a difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

The latency issue is only in Ableton Live 8. In Audition, there is no latency. Are there buffer settings to play with in Ableton?

I could try the docking station USB, that might make a difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

The latency issue is only in Ableton Live 8. In Audition, there is no latency. Are there buffer settings to play with in Ableton?

Perhaps software input monitoring is active in Ableton but not in Audition. Your interface has hardware direct monitoring, which you should use if possible. See if you can disable input monitoring in Ableton.

Back