IRQ's

peter miller

What are IRQ's anyway.
I think I have problem with my graphics card when recordig and mixing!
I have had everything checked out except the graphics card and I found on a logic site a list of possible "problem" agp cards. Anyway I contacted the agp card manufacturer and they said that the AGP and pci slot 1 share the same IRQ.
and this may be my problem .however I have tried my soundcard in a couple of slots and I'm quite sure it made no difference. I have the maxi studio isis and although not a "pro" card it is a descent unit and is quite popular.It even gets in the top ten on the emagic site. I have to tell myself that,besides alot of paupers like me own them.

I'm running cool edit pro v1.00 and a SE of logic audio.
problems I have are crackles ,pops,and other various glitches. which a conflicting graphics card can cause according to the logic site!!
And mine did get a special mention.
my agp is S3inc.Trio 3D/2X v1.00.28

I am only recording acoustic guitar 4 tracks at the most usaully. SORRY this is so long but someone out there most know something- Peter :eek:

If the web site states that this card is problomatic with out any solutions, I would recommend replacing it.

Have you tried going into your computer BIOS. Sometimes there is an option in there to "assign IRQ to VGA" or not. Worth a shot. I'm assuming that your machine has always done this, and that you haven't changed something that would cause the pop's/glitchs etc. It may not be the video card at all. Check to see that your hard disk is running in DMA mode. This has solved similiar problems before. Right click My computer, select properties, device manager, double click disk drives, select the hard disk, select settings. There is a check box for DMA, assuming your hard disk is DMA33 or 66, the box should be checkmarked (If your running 95, I advise leaving it alone).

From Whatis.com

-----------

interrupt request

The IRQ (interrupt request) value is an assigned location where the computer can expect a particular device to interrupt it when the device sends the computer signals about its operation. For example, when a printer has finished printing, it sends an interrupt signal to the computer. The signal momentarily interrupts the computer so that it can decide what processing to do next. Since multiple signals to the computer on the same interrupt line might not be understood by the computer, a unique value must be specified for each device and its path to the computer. Prior to Plug-and Play (plug and play) devices, users often had to set IRQ (interrupt request) values manually (or be aware of them) when adding a new device to a computer.
If you add a device that does not support Pnp, the manufacturer will hopefully provide explicit directions on how to assign IRQ values for it. If you don't know what IRQ value to specify, you'll probably save time by calling the technical support phone number for the device manufacturer and asking.

-----------

"If you don't know what IRQ value to specify, you'll probably save time by calling the technical support phone number for the device manufacturer and asking."

Hahah.. right.

have you tried an updated driver for your v-card and are you running windows 95 if so update to 98 where windows 98 will assign shared IRQ where you dont have to.

thnks everyone(every time I press submit I think of some more questions)

I'm on windows 98 se and yes i'm quite sure that it's done it all along . I found the distibuters of my card in oz and they have tested the isis with several s3 inc agp cards with no problems at all. I burned a track on to cd and it seems the pops and crackles are not there as much.
It seems to be bad in mixing adding effects etc and not as bad in final-bounce down .
I don't do alot of plugins just a few with hyper draw volume/pan and editing tools like that.
One thing I have noticed is logic hates alot of plugins as in won't accept them (freeze ups etc)however nearly every plugin I try works in cool edit

tell you what goto system info in win 98 program accessories,system tool.click on hardware resources then click on conflicts/sharing this will show you what card is sharing IRQ.then maybe you manualy move it to a free IRQ

ISIS issues.

Ok;
The ISIS driver SUX!!!!!!

Thank god, now it's been said.
This is most likely your pops problem (my guitarist called it the 'choppers'). In Logic find the audio setup (or whatever it's called, sorry I use cubase) where you can change the audio driver.

Try the other drivers that are listed eg;windows multimedia driver.

You latency will go through the roof but the choppers will dissappear.

If it is a vid card issue, try turning down the Graphics hardware accelleration option in you display settings. Did this fix it? If it did then see my post here https://homerecording.com/bbs//showthread.php?threadid=18156

It's about time new drivers were forthcomming from Guillemot but don't hold your breath. There are rumours of an ASIO2 driver near release.

IMHO sell your ISIS to the next sucker and get a c-port, that's what I'm diong.

best o luck,

Bones

isis

well bones, THe isis drivers suck hey hhmmmm.interesting.
I just got a email from sound-music in melbourne and they said I could upgrade to c-port if I wanted to.They stock both isis and c-port and all sorts of stuff. Just depends on the extra bucks. what software does c-port use and what can be used on it. I see your an aussie I'm in qld on the goldie. oh yeah you asked me where I got the idea for your name being defforest kelley,I think that was the guy who played bones on star trek.
sound-music are the support techs for isis and some of the guys there are very good.
what pisses me off is some people have the isis and their's is perfect. So why is mine not .I've had the card checked out(by them) and it was 100% ok.I'm gonna check my ram next if I can find out how. 'cause I'd hate to buy a new card and find out it was my system. To be honest I'd be quite happy to keep the card if my system was ok.

For my general comments check out my reply to your "Blue Screen" post.

I will also add that Emeric's comment is 100% right, make sure your video card is being assigned an IRQ. I have seen that situation cause a number of bizare problems (like PCs that refused to shut down) which went away once corrected.

Yah Peter, John is my contact at sound-music too, he's good but he's relying on the support from guillemot and well.....

Anyways, check out that driver issue and let me know how it goes, and yes I am a Trekkie (shoulda caught that Deforrest refferance).

I'll be up your way 1st week of Dec touring with Joe Camileri, let me know if you want tix, or have a beer or ten.

ICQ 44888025.

Bones

JOE Camalleri

bones-Touring with joe you must be a legend yourself to be keeping such company.My wife and I dig camalleri(is that spelt right)and richard clapton and all the older aussie more shall we say lyrical artists.
I'm been trying to make my comp do all it's strange things but doesn't want to. I'll keep trying.

Emeric & co I just looked in bios etc you know press del to enter set up ,wow ,a whole new world,I wish I knew what settings did what,I mean I even saw the word TURBO.

Has any one tried the dual config setup that you can do in windows. It removes unwanted hardware.not as good as dual boot but getting there.I'm gonna give it a whirl

Back