ipad/tablets & the future of recording

paresh

Hi guys - I've been away fr the forum for a while...sorry if this has already been discussed:

I read a lot of hype about tablets being the future of computers. How does this affect us as amateur/semipro home recordists, other than portability?

Or is it mainly for the average user?Thanks.

I have a tablet, and I like it. However, I seriously doubt it will ever replace 'regular' computers for home recording. At least not with me. For starters, the teeny speakers won't be tolerable, so you're stuck with ear buds. Then the size is an issue. Even though I have a 10" tablet, that doesn't compare to a 19" or a 21" LCD monitor. Try moving virtual faders on a tiny 9" screen, or a 7" screen.
Then the software manufacturers have to make their program work on a few different operating systems. Different tablets are based around different operating systems. Do you just go with the most popular? That would be Apple's iOS found on the various iterations of iPad, but there are numerous alternatives from the likes of Google, HP, Bl@ckberry and Microsoft.
The more I think about it, there will a revolution in tablets, but not for home recording.

I reckon they'll be, if not already, great for recording on the go. Like an even more portable laptop. But they would never replace a dedicated computer. I know a lot of people use them as controlelrs though. As a portable, digital mixing desk, to control parameters in the DAW and such. So it's a handy tool nontheless.

Back