iPad Integration into Home Studio Environment

Endever

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this site and have a few questions regarding iPads integration.

First of all, my current setup is an iPad4 connected to a Behringer U-CONTROL UCA 202 and a ESI MIDI MATE II (using a powered USB hub). Midi goes directly into my focusrite sapphire pro 40 and the audio is connected to the sapphire using the optical out on the beringer into the interface using the ADAT in in S/PDIF mode. Works like a charm despite a small error message whenever I plug the iPad in :). The only thing missing is the ability so send audio to the iPad without leaving the digital domain, but well, I didn't need it so far.

Now my questions :):

This works great for me, but it got me wondering. What if I get another iPad, how do I connect that one, since the only optical in on my interface is already in use. As far as I understand it, optical ADAT support up to 8 channels of audio, right now I'm using 2 of them in S/PDIF mode. Is there a box, which converts 4 stereo optical S/PDIF inputs to 1 multichannel ADAT out? I can't seem to find something like that. Likewise, 4 coaxial S/PDIF to multichannel ADAT would also seem like a good idea or am I missing something?

Then my attention got cought by the iConnectMidi2+ (and 4+). Great device, allowing full midi and audio integration of the iPad into my computer, except for the fact, that the iConnect is recognized as an audio interface. Since most DAW only support 1 interface at a time, this would mean, that I could get sound from the iPad to the computer, but I couldn't hear anything on my monitors, since they are connected to the focusrite.

Again, the iConnectMidi2+ supplied with an S/PDIF optical (or coaxial) in and out combined with an optical (or coaxial) S/PDIF stereo to 8 channel converter (which could connect right to the ADAT in and out on the focusrite) would seem like a very elegant solution. I'm just wondering, that I can't seem to find such a thing :).

As an alternative, I can always go analog, but it just seems strange, to use an analog signal path to connect 2 digital environments with each other.

Well, if you have any thoughts on this issue and feel like commenting on it, I'd really appreciate it :).

Greetings from Vienna
Endever

Just got my Behringer iStudio iS202 for iPad, which is very much like an updated Alesis ioDock but with a lot more features and full midi AND sys ex support. Now, although it is an interface, I am using it a bit differently because I have an all hardware synth studio and record into Reaper on a edicated PC with a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. I wanted to be able to use new Waldorf NAVE app and a few others on iPad and simply route the audio output of the iStudio into my 18i20. The iStudio allows me to connect a midi keyboard controller and also route midi out to external hardware synths. That's 2 midi 5-DIN in/out, and furthermore, the iStudio also has midi in/out via USB, and two TRS audio Inputs for sampling, as an example or just routing external audio into an app. Just got it but it just works, but I am not running a DAW on the iPad, just so you understand. However, iStudio with an iPad CAN run an app like Auria for DAW and the two TRS/XLR inputs can take line signal or push a button for preamp and connect a mic or guitar. They have two version of the iStudio: I have an iPad 2 with the 30 pin connector, which the iS202 accommodates, the iS202L is for newest iPads with Lightening connection, otherwise functionally the same.
Worth checking out because the way I am using it in running audio out into my 18i20, am not taxing my PC with virtual instruments, keeping recording to audio with midi sister track for automation.

Another option I have with iPad and iStudio (which only costs $149. USD), is to use it with my Scarlett 18i20 and run Scarlett Mix Control on it so my DAW Flat Screen does not have to do a dual screen or keep going back and forth; the mix control is right there on iPad.

Hi namnibor,

I though about the Behringer dock, but the way I see it, it also lacks a digital output. Since my iPad also is in a nice leather case, I wouldn't want to pull it out everytime I want to plug it into the computer. So the combination mentioned in my post works fine for me (and I think is also cheaper then the Behringer). Don't get me wrong, I don't mind using analog connections for a second iPad or other gear, it just feels strange, to use analog cables to connect an all out digital sound generator to a digital AW :). Is there something, I'm missing with digital audio, which would make it more complicated than using analog connectors (like clocking?)?

Right now, I also use the mix control for the sapphire, which makes it very easy to just plug the iPad into the camera connection kit and instantly have sound on my monitor speakers, but still have the same audio feed available in my DAW (which is also Reaper, seems like a lot of people are using that today :)). How do you like the Scarlett?

Greetings
Endever

Back