Internal audio recording with US122 in XP

thregwort

How to record within XP?
My US122 works fine for external sound sources - line/mic/guitar - all record
to my software [Cubase, Sound Forge, Adobe Audition] on my well-spec'd laptop.

Now, having made, say, a Cubase song from multitracks of audio, I could just hook up a minidisc recorder to US122 line out and record the finished piece.

But I don't want to do that.
I want to record my Cubase song to Sound Forge or Adobe Audition [on the same laptop] so I can do some pre-mastering EQ tweaks. I do this all the time on my other WinXP machines - using Delta Audiophile cards this is really straightforward.

None of my recording devices will record anything that the US122 is playing in XP.
For example XP's Media Player plays a song - I want to record it for sampling
or other treatment - no-can-do, nothing shows up on the software monitor meters nor does a trial record produce anything other than a flat line.

Am I missing something here? Is the US122 not a full duplex soundcard?

I'd appreciate a word of advice if anyone has knowledge in this area.

Thanxinadvance

A 'full duplex soundcard' only means one with the ability to make new recordings and monitor existing tracks at the same time. What you are talking about would best be referred to as 'resampling'.

Cubase has an 'export audio' or 'render audio' option which will let you make a wav file of your piece which you can then open in the program of your choice.

And didn't your 'well spec'd laptop' come with a CD burner?

Thanks for that,

OK scrub the bit about 'full duplex soundcard'.

Yes, of course I have a CD burner.
Yes, of course I could export an audio mixdown from Cubase.

What I'm really asking is this:
how come my other machines [with PCI soundcards] can record
[in Cubase, Sound Forge or Adobe Audition], ANYTHING that is audibly playing
on the machine - a song in Media Player is just one example - whereas
the US122 cannot, or so it would seem, record any audio that is not physically happening outside the machine, i.e. coming in through the RCA line or other sockets?

If this really is the case - i.e. un-fix-able, un-tweakable, could someone
tell me the technical term for this US122 non-feature so that I can start a search for an external USB powered external soundcard that is not so crippled?

Thanxinadvance

Why do you want to "record" in Audition while the Cubase mix is playing, and all through your soundcard? There's a big chance the signal might get degraded if it goes through the converters/soundcard. Just get the mix working the way you like it, and export it to a stereo wav, and then open the wav in Audition. I think you're getting too worked up about this.

Hi Gordone,

I think that's a question rather than an answer!

Why do I care about this function? I'll tell you.

I prepare "click tracks" for musicians' commercial use.
The "click" is audio generated using the Cubase metronome function.

In order to transfer the backing (music) track as a single channel (mono) track to its destination mini disc, it must be synchronised with the single track (mono) click, after both tracks are separately normalised in a suitable
audio recorder/editor. Both tracks are then re-synced, the beginning portion of the music track silenced, and the whole transformed
into a single stereo track so that the public hear the music and no click,
whereas the drummer hears the click and no music.

The process entails using Cubase for the recording of the backing track (mono) with its metronome audible at the beginning of the track but nowhere else, so that it can be synchronised with the click-only track which is recorded separately.
This entails physically switching 'off' the metronome after a few bars (a process that cannot be automated in Cubase).
I thus need to record 'live' for the required result.

As stated, this is not an issue with my desktop machines using
PCI soundcards - they just work!
But the US122 does not.
So I thought I would enquire whether anyone on this forum could tell me why?

Anyone?

Thanxinadvance.

gordone said:
I think you're getting too worked up about this.

As do I.

How about this: From a soft sampler or soft synth, find a hihat or rim sound that will give you a good audible click. Cut and paste a bar or two of this to run the entire length of the song. Then pan this to the left and all the other tracks to the right and burn a CD.

If this won't work for some reason post again and we'll work with you until we solve the problem...

Back