interferance from other power supplies

peter miller

I'm getting interferance noise from alessis power pack etc that goes through my monitors ,headphones etc.The unit I live in ,the power sockets are all on the same circut
although most of my gear is sharing the same power boards. how could I filter this out!! :(

Alesis power supply? Is that a transformer for an Alesis processor (midiverb or some such animal)?

Ive had that problem with those silly little alesis Power supplys that output 9v AC (yes, ac)... but it went away when I got my little furman power conditioner (the kind with the little pull out lights.. :))

could work.
xxooxo
camn

theyre called power conditioners. I dont really know what they do, but they really kill the noise from neon signs and stuff. I think in theorey they clean up dirty ass bar circuits.

Before ou get one tho... try plugging your alesis and your alesis alone into a surge protector, and then into whatever else it is. It might eliminate the interference.. (Ive heard of that working, at least...)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by camn:
Ive had that problem with those silly little alesis Power supplys that output 9v AC (yes, ac)... but it went away when I got my little furman power conditioner (the kind with the little pull out lights.. :))

could work.
xxooxo
camn
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is one of those 9v power supplies so I'll have to look into getting one .only one thing what the hell are they

Sounds like a ground loop. Make sure (if you can) that every thing is plugged into the same outlet (via a power strip). What you're trying to accomplish by that is a star ground configuration. In otherwords you don't want to make an antenna that is suseptable to 60Hz line noise out of your power lines and your audio lines as well. Plugging things into differant outlets, even though those outlets my be on the same circuit, is the fastest way to generate this kind of problem. Something else you can try is to make a ground lift on the shield of your audio lines (of the offending device). You do this by soldering a resister (I think its 100 ohms but I'll have to get back with you on the actual value) between the shield and where it would normally solder to the phono connector. Star grounding is a hell of a lot easier. A line conditioner will go a long way towards isolating this too.

Back