Interfaces/Digital Mixers

DigitalMassacre

Im tring to upgrade my studio, I want 24 to 32 channel inputs and I am having a hard time finding either an interface or a mixer that has 24 to 32 mic channels. USB or FireWire it doesnt matter. Every mixer I have found that has this amount of channels only send a stereo track to the computer. Any Ideas on what to buy?

I don't think there is a USB mixer with 24-32 channels. I know there is the MOTU 24 I/O. But there are no mic preamps.

You can buy some interfaces that are able to be daisy chained together. My Presonus FP10 has 2 firewire ports, one for the computer and another to connect to an interface. So it is possible to chain 4 units together to get 32 channels of simultaneous recording. A lot of firewire interfaces have this ability.

A couple of things for you to consider.

I have a Yamaha DM1000 and have installed 2 MY16AT expansion cards. This gives me 32 channels of ADAT output (and, indeed another 32 channels of input) which I interface into my computer via an M Audio Profire Lightbridge which outputs Firewire. I've been using this system for going on 3 years and it's been flawless. With my mixer, to get beyond 16 mic inputs you need to add external mic preamps for which I also use the MY16AT cards, juggling the inputs and outputs as required.

However, I'm thinking that Firewire is a system on its way out (look how few computers now have Firewire or and Expressbus slot to install an adaptor in) so, I suspect my next change might be to replace the ADAT with a couple of MY-16-AUD cards which would give me an Audinate interface running direct into the computer via ethernet. Up to 16 in/out you can connect directly to a computer, beyound that you use a gigabit switch for up to 48 channels of in/out.

At least with pro gear (and at 32 channels you're getting into that range) you're going to find that the world is moving to various ethernet solutions rather than Firewire (and USB isn't really recommended for that sort of track count).

You can buy some interfaces that are able to be daisy chained together. My Presonus FP10 has 2 firewire ports, one for the computer and another to connect to an interface. So it is possible to chain 4 units together to get 32 channels of simultaneous recording. A lot of firewire interfaces have this ability.

What he said. PreSonus seem to be especially good at the whole daisy chain thing too. I think it's up to 52 channels you can link them up to. So a couple Firestudios could easily give you the channels you need.

Back