Interface upgrade suggestions?

6v6er

DAW is Reaper....... (((budget $1000 if needed)))

****07-14- 2017 - Interface and DAW Purchased................(PreSonus Studio 192 USB & PreSonus Studio One 3.5 Pro)

I'm using Reason 7, Superior Drummer, Amplitude 3 and Melodyne 4.

Thanks

Windows 7 Pro.
Intel Core i5-4670 Quad-core 3.4GHz LGA 1150
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250G Sata SS drive
32gigs/Ram - SDRAM DDR3 1600

Last edited:
Warren Huart just sent a Clarett 8PREX vs Sunset Studios video out thats interesting. He focuses on the drums but mainly comparing a $1700 vs 100,000$ setup or something. Speaks well of the Shure mics and a Clarett though, I guess. (dont think sunset studio and the gear was switching anytime soon but...)
its a contest so you could enroll and try to win it!>?

the Clarett is $600 used. Looks like Thunderballs or USB is the big difference?

Attachments

• clarett 18i20.png
    clarett 18i20.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Looks like the 18i20 can be the gen 1 on clearance 96k ....USB or FW

or the gen2 192k....USB only.(dropped FW)

not set up for thunder........ USB2 or 3, so far it seems that the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (2nd gen) seems solid for the price.

Thanks

6v6- you need to tell us a pricerange if you want real data here.

Scarlett stuff is fine. The Presonus is probably better.
I was not in love with the latency unsing MIDI under cubase with my old Scarlet.. but it was manageable.
I saw a big improvement moving to the steinberg UR824- but I would only rec that if you are a Cubase user. The non-integrated controls are a clunky mess. The INTEGRATED parts, OTOH, are amazing.

I think if you can, shooting for the $8-900 range instead of the $500 range will give you considerable long-term improvements for a unit with 8 analog ins... but again- the Scarlett is totally fine and you can make a hit record with it. It isn't the gear you have, it's the ear you have :)

If low latency is really important to you, ask the question over at Sound on Sound forum.

First off there is a guy there who tests a vast range of AIs, KAFTAT. He looks SPECIFICALLY at latency and has made VERY few fiends in the AI industry by exposing what could be called 'oversights' in total latency reporting but many would call them 'Porkies'.

There are several other peeps there who are really on top of this...

Dave.

I like the steinberg UR824, my DAW at the present is reaper, are the issues huge if not using cubase?

I may be changing to PreSonus Studio One 3.5 Pro as it is supposed to function well with melodyne.

I will also look into the sound on sound page..............

I also added info to the above page on the budget amount/$1000.

Thank you

so - I havent USED the UR824 in reaper.. but I have used it's standalone mixer, and the onboard effects and routing interface is kid of shite. Whereas doing that same routing inside Cubase is easy.

BUT if you were not using that stuff, it is probably fine.
I just IMAGINE some other device in the pricerange might be better suited, outside of Cubase.
Like.. using a Presonus interface with Presonus Studio 1...that should be perfect right?

Back