Interface supporting multiple headphone outputs

LRBradley

I want to be able to send at least four individually mixed headphone mixes to a piece of hardware I can connect to my Mac running Logic Pro X. I want something I can plug four headphones into and define each headphone output with its own mix bus from LPX. USB or MIDI connect? I have a headphone mixer but all that lets me do is change the output volume and tone control for each headphone. I want to be able to change the mix in the send to the headphone so I can turn up or down any number of tracks. I know how to set it up in Logic Pro, just don't have the interface hardware. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Forget about headphones, you want multiple outs. What you connect to them is not that important. Something along these lines:Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | Sweetwater.com

But not sure why you want so many different outputs, but look at that and then you can start researching for what you are looking for.

You need an interface with at least 8 outs just to run to 4 stereo headphone amps. Plus you will likely want to have your monitors running from another stereo pair.

It is possible to increase the amount of line outs with an interface that also has ADAT inputs. In my particular setup I use 2 Steinberg UR824's. One running as the main interface (8 input/8 output) and the second running as a slave ADAT unit. I am able to assign output bus's within my DAW to all 16 of the outputs including the ones on the slave ADAT unit.

Your main interface drivers will be what determines if you can send to more than it has in the hardware unit. You will still need to have a separate headphone amp for each headphone mix.

Now, there are also ways to use a headphone amp that has AUX inputs. This allows you to make some changes to the mix, but not really completely different mixes. For example, you could use one or more of the outs of your interface to send something like a guitar track, and use the AUX in of a multiple headphone preamp to send that to the guitar player. He would have 'more me' in his mix. Not really a separate mix but a way to give him more without having to spend another $800 on a separate interface and headphone preamp.

I have no clue about how Logic works. I only know how this can be done with the Cubase 'Control Room'.

There may be a interface that has all of these abilities in one unit, but I have not heard of it myself.

Forget about headphones, you want multiple outs. What you connect to them is not that important. Something along these lines:Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 | Sweetwater.com

But not sure why you want so many different outputs, but look at that and then you can start researching for what you are looking for.

That looks like a great possibility right there! :)

Keep in mind each unit has it's limitations. I went with the Steinberg interface myself because it works directly within my DAW (Cubase). DSP effects are controlled within the software.

And more importantly, it allows two sets a 8 channel ADAT for 24 track input capability. I sometimes need more than 16 tracks.

The Scarlett has a max of 16 analog tracks plus 2 digital in as far as I see.

This may be just perfect for you though.

You will still need a separate headphone amp for each mix though. Unless you try the approach I mentioned.

I would agree with DM60 as I have never really needed to have more than a couple headphone mixes at one time myself. But everyone has their own needs and that is fine too. :)

Google Jam Hub and see if that will give you the options you need. The Bedroom unit lets you do 4 individual mixes to 4 separate headphones, but it only allows 4 inputs...
The $500 unit has 21 inputs and acts as a USB interface.
EDIT
oops, sorry, the usb out is stereo. :(

Google Jam Hub and see if that will give you the options you need. The Bedroom unit lets you do 4 individual mixes to 4 separate headphones, but it only allows 4 inputs...
The $500 unit has 21 inputs and acts as a USB interface.

Another possible option. :)

Another possible option. :)

Hello jimmys69, I see you are still active on this forum. I have a related question for you:

I have 2 UR824 units. I want to know if I can control which mix comes out of the slave UR824 front Phones output. For the moment I can't find how to change them, and they seem to be tied to the master UR824 choices.

Thank you very much in advance, have a good day.

Hello jimmys69, I see you are still active on this forum. I have a related question for you:

I have 2 UR824 units. I want to know if I can control which mix comes out of the slave UR824 front Phones output. For the moment I can't find how to change them, and they seem to be tied to the master UR824 choices.

Thank you very much in advance, have a good day.
Howdy Paco. I don't believe there is a way to change the headphone out source for the slave unit. :(

Back